Gibson Brands Forums

problem with mojo prewired assembly and seth lover on sherry2

Avirex

Hello,

I'm back again.I'm assembling all my new hardware in my sherry2.

Yesterday I had a soldering session just to solder the two Seymour Duncan Seth Lover with the prewired mojo assembly set.

Seth lover have only two wire (shield and black one).

The shield on the back of the corresponding volume pot, and the black one on the hot point.

Then I soldered the ground wire to the the back of the briddge tone pot.

Not so complicating anyway...but:

I tried to plug the guitar before putting everyting in the body, and I have an terrible "bzzzz" noise that stop only if I touch one metalic part (as pickup, shield or pot).

It seems that the nothing is grounded, even if it is.

I of course checked the ground wire connected to the stop bar.

terrible...

What is this "prewired mojo assembly", I'm curious? I've heard of "mojo pickups"

and "mojo caps..bumblebees", but now they are offering prewired mojo?

I gotta get me some of that. =D>

If you soldered the shields of the new p_up to the volume pot case and the black

(signal) wire to the outer tap of the volume pot (the one on the other side of

the grounded lug), it should work fine without any hum.

The bridge tone pot is not recommended for the shield soldering of the pickup, as

the signal ground should be as short as the signal wire. However, if you have a ground

wire connecting the case(shield) of all 4 pots to the ground lug of the output jack,

you should have established a "ground plane" for the pots and pickups.

That should stop the buzz.

I presume here, that the center lug of the volume pot is still going to the 3 way and

that has not been disturbed, nor the output of the 3 way to the jack?

Try this: Take a piece of wire and solder it (temporarily) to a pot case or the

output jack ground lug and touch it to various places that have been worked

on, if the buzz goes away, then there is a loose or missing ground.

Use only a 25 to 40 watt Iron with 60/40 solder, tin all your parts and get in and out quickly. Go to this site and check out how a 1959 Gibson les paul is wired, it does make a difference. If you run your wires exactly like they show you in the article you will have no problems and those seth lovers will sound real sweet. Click here. http://www.singlecoil.com/docs/paula.pdf and here is a photo of a original 1959 with bumblebee's control cavity.1959ORIGINALBUMBLEBEES.jpg

Thanks for answer,

Yes Mojo makes some prewired assemblies for the most populare guitares.

I took the 335 model and it fits with the sheraton but :

As far as you must pass by the F hole , you have to twist all the elements to make them go in, in this case you are nearly sure that the capacitors rigid wire will brake and you must be very careful ( I had to repair both).

I had to controle all the ground soldering, I surely did a mess in a first time by soldering my PU shields over existing soldering.

I did everything again, and it worked. No hum anymore.

When they say thats it's uneasy to put all the elements in place, they are right. It has been much more difficult that what I was expecting.

At the end ??? WOOOOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Set Lover PAF in the sheraton are fantastic.

Archived