Gibson Brands Forums

Looking to get a good Pedal and..........

was wondering if anyone had suggestions? I have an "08" Epi. Slash Sig. and a better than average amp. I like classic rock, hard rock ( Zeppelin,Sabbath,ac/dc etc.) some newer rock/metal. I just don't want to go through 30-40 pedals before i find a good one if i can help it. I heard that a digital pedal compared to a analog isn't any good? any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What amp do you have?

My suggestion is to go to a store and try as many as you can' date=' and pick your favorite(s).

You also didn't mention what kind of pedal you were looking for. Distortion, modulation, delay, there lots to choose from so what are you looking for?

[/quote'] I'm looking for a distortion pedal and my amp is a Marshall MG250DFX. Is there a big difference in the signal path being analog vs digital?

Your SS amp should be able to produce a SS distortion in the realm of what you're describing on its own. If it's not capable of producing what you're looking for, it's either amp shopping time or pedal shopping time, and both should involve some research and experimentation on your part. If you can find a mom and pop store in your area, you shouldn't have any problem finding someone willing and able to assist you in narrowing down your search, and also in letting you go through a trial and error period, where they would let you buy something to try out and swap for something else within a reasonable time period, assuming it doesn't ring your bell, and assuming it comes back in the condition it left the store.

if your looking for a more classic distortion in analog form try an Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi, the one with the black case. Or try the Electro Harmonix English Muffin. Both sound great. Then if you couple that with a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive it gets even better!( the Sparkle Drive is an overdrive pedal by the way)

if your looking for a more classic distortion in analog form try an Electro Harmonix Big Muff pi' date=' the one with the black case. Or try the Electro Harmonix English Muffin. Both sound great. Then if you couple that with a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive it gets even better!( the Sparkle Drive is an overdrive pedal by the way)[/quote'] That's exactly what i'm looking for, thanks i will check those out. Has anyone ever used the Digitech DF-7 distortion pedal? I was told to check that one out, but havent had the chance yet so i looked it up on GC. It has 7 different modes and more. Seems pretty flexible.

Are you interested in modding a DS-1? I have a couple ways to mod a ds-1.

1. Dirty boost-this dropped gain and boosted volume significatly. If you're looking for a more distorted rhythm sound (ex. like a second channel to your amp), this probably isn't the best option, sounds best in from of an already overdriven tube amp.

2. This is better as a main distortion over a clean channel. I swapped a few things and boosted the midrange and the bass, and made it sound more like a tube amp.

If you're interested in what I did to each pedal just ask, and I'll tell you. They are realatively easy (especially the dirty boost one), and won't cost you more than $3. And the DS-1 is pretty cheap. I think it was a huge improvement over the stock ones IMO, so just let me know if you want to know more.

Archived