Gibson Brands Forums

Ultra II Jack Problem

DeaconDean

FYI

I have 2 ultra IIs and both had serious Jack problems. (no sound at all)

I busted the first one open (because Gibson just laffed when I asked them if I could send it in to the custom shop for repair) and found both jacks to be cheap Chinese parts.

I replaced both with Switchcraft's, deleted one wire so one jack doesn't have both the humbucker and the nanomag and

I am back rawkin!

This is good to know. One of my jacks is tight on the cable and the other is loose. The little plastic plate that they are mounted on cracked right away and I have to get it replaced....should have been steel, not plasic but this will be a good time to upgrade the jacks.

I've experenced similar problems on an Epiphone EJ-200 acoustic. These also have a second jack for 'stereo' sound and since this jack has to perform a switching function (it disconnects the signal from one of the pickups from the 'mono' jack) they end up using a fiddly part that is prone to crackling and popping.

Are the Ultra IIs built in China? I seem to be coming across mention of a bunch of niggling problems with them.

Not saying there aren't/weren't any but I don't remember reading about problems with the Ultra Is which were made in Korea.

I'm just asking this as I have one on order but I don't want to get it if it comes with the problems. My Korean Ultra is fantastic.

Archived