Gibson Brands Forums

Feeling bad about you chops? try this!

tom nair

I spent to much of my young life playing covers in bands. My fault. For the last three years I have benn playing to jam tracks or downloaded music that fits my goal. It's really helping me. No more him, just me. I have found that I can really play lead pretty well if I play lead to a groove that fits my talent level and record it. I then play the recorded lead back but make up my own chords to fit the lead from the recorded track. It is now you backing you and you can play your comping chords in an endless number of ways. Try it, playing backup to your own chops in several chord progressions will let you here what other people here. But it is even better because you now your own changes and style better than anyone on the planet. All you have to do is stay in the basic key of the of the chops on the recorded track. Experiment with all types of chords that you know. It's alot of fun. You could actually form your own song from it.

Yeh, it's pretty interesting. Say you are playing blues in A with some distortion or a minor chop clean, you can then find endless patterns to comp to your own voicing. You can be the backer you never had. I would like to get a keyboard and try it. I know this is not the real deal but it gives you alot of insight to your own sound.

Archived