Gibson Brands Forums

Finally - Pics of That 50s FT79

zombywoof

Finally found my camera. These ain't the best but pics but they will give you an idea.

Again, this guitar has the tan tag with the New York address. The serial number places it at 1955/1956.

But notice the dot inlays instead of parallelograms. The bridge has a heck of a gloss to it so I am a guessing it has been refinished. The bikini logo fell off so it just resting on the headstock in the pic so if it looks a bit askew that is why.

Nice pickguard, huh?

Any ideas?

This thing is only a few hundred bucks which ain't a bad price for a player. If I decide to buy it, I will bring it down to Mass Street Music to have a new pickguard put on and the screw holes plugged.

EpiFT79-1.jpg

EpiFT79-3.jpg

EpiFT79-4.jpg

Very cool!

I actually like the pickguard. Is that original or a modification? Anyway' date=' I'll bet the burst finish underneath is a lot nicer to look at.[/quote']

Nah, the pickguard was added later. It is a big old thick thing. It does kinda have that Gibson F-25 Folksinger look though.

I will try and get some photos of the back up in a day or two.

But what I am asking is an opinion on whether the board is original to the guitar. Every 1950s Ft-79 I have seen in the flesh has had parallelogram inlays on the board and not dots (I have, however, run across one picture of an FT-79 with the dot markers). The side position markers and binding are original but the neck heel plate has definitely been replaced. The bridge has an extremely high gloss to it so I am assuming that it has been refinished.

Again, I can grab this sucker for just a few hundred bucks and am not looking at it as an "investment" guitar. I am just curious.

Thanks

I will try and get some photos of the back up in a day or two.

But what I am asking is an opinion on whether the board is original to the guitar. Every 1950s Ft-79 I have seen in the flesh has had parallelogram inlays on the board and not dots (I have' date=' however, run across one picture of an FT-79 with the dot markers). The side position markers and binding are original but the neck heel plate has definitely been replaced. The bridge has an extremely high gloss to it so I am assuming that it has been refinished.

[/quote']

Here's some more pics of FT79's:

http://www.gbase.com/Stores/Gear/GearList.aspx?GS=Y&PageIndex=1&PageSize=25&SF0=11&SD0=1&SF1=10&SD1=1&SF2=12&SD2=1&F1=2&F2=2&F3=2&Keyword=FT79&Track=Y

That is an astounding specimin. But to do something drastic to her like remove her... pick bib.. I'd re-think that. But.. f she is yours, then do as you will. You'll probably want to save that guard for re-installation later by your heirs when you're gone. Keep track of the bikini logo too.

Now that you mention it.. the guard has a halter top look to it. Goes with the logo on the head.

Somehow I think it'd look better with a lobster logo on the front.

Well, my own non-expert opinion says it probably is original; but I don't know how to go about proving it. In stone's link to gbase, there is a '55 Texan, and a couple of the pics show it with the hashed rectangular inlays seen on other models:

Photo3_77f38.jpgPhoto4_5460d.jpg

It also has the metal badge logo and the white trc.

Well' date=' my own non-expert opinion says it probably is original; but I don't know how to go about proving it. In stone's link to gbase, there is a '55 Texan, and a couple of the pics show it with the hashed rectangular inlays seen on other models:

It also has the metal badge logo and the white trc.[/quote']

Yup, those are the inlays that I would expect to see on the guitar.

But here is a photo of "1956" FT-79 which does show dot inlays

FT79_1955.jpg

BTW, the metal Epi logo that was on the pickguard is in the case as are what appear to be the original pins.

Archived