Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Picks

Henry Mars

• 2 months later...

Well, we have been making these things in my shop for a few months now and have acquired a nice local following ... the guy that wroks for me says I should take 'em "National" so I decied to give it a try. They are now on E-Bay and I am in the process of building a commercial web site.

Got a picture of one of my lines I decided to post and I cant figure out how to upload it so I am posing the link.

Let me know what you think.

STONE picks? :D

That's the first I've heard of that.

I'm not sure I'm convinced that picks affect tone... your guitar has all that nice wood, quality strings, frets, pickups, F holes maybe... lots of tonal features anyway, that are specifically designed to affect a guitar's tone. I'd say that most, if not all of the tone comes from the guitar itself. My only exception to that rule would be a slide, in steel or glass, of course they have an effect on sound, but they are in contact with the strings throuout the note, whereas a pick is only there but a milisecond. All a pick does is get the string to vibrate cleanly after all. Of course I'm open to education, I've only been playing 9 years or so.

I use .50 mm Dunlop tortex (the red ones) for rythm and strumming, and thicker ones for blues lead... usually the green ones (not sure of the thickness, but they're pretty stiff). I find tortex don't slip out of the fingers... well not often anyway. I like the sandpaper idea that Dave mentioned.

Archived