Gibson Brands Forums

Question about an older (1980s) epiphone LP

justinrobert

Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me find some info on a guitar that I had when I was about 16 years old. I no longer have it, but I remember it being quite nice. It was an epiphone les paul style that was a very pretty pearl white finish with all black hardware including covered black pickups. I seem to remember the model just being called "les paul II" It was somwhat similar to the special IIs that are made today, but it was not one of these guitars. I beleive it had a bolt on neck, I don't really remember the knob configuration, and it was probaly made in the late 1980s. I think I got it around 89-90. I'm just curious really. It seems now that this guitar was very rare, since I can't even find a picture of one online.

Anybody know what I'm talking about??

Thanks,

www.lunarflower.us

Gibson or Epiphone? Single or double cutaway. There was a guitar Gibson put out, in the 80's called "The Paul II" that was single

cutaway, thinner body with relief contour on the back, twin humbuckers. Don't know if it was available in Pearl White? Could have been...

The black hardware could have been stock or added by the previous owner? Hard to say...without seeing it. You can try Googling

"Les Paul...The Paul II" in the image section, and see what you find. Most of "The Paul II's" that I've seen are dark walnut colored,

with maple necks. But, I've only seen a few, over the years....so don't have a definitive answer, at all...Sorry.

CB

I can remember seeing a bunch of Epiphone solid bodies, obvious Gibson clones back around that time. However a closer look basically revealed these to be nothing more than cheap bolt-neck copies. Basically I ignored Epiphone until sometime around 1994 when I ran across my first set-neck Epi Les Paul. I guess it took them another five years or so to get their yeehaw together.

I'm familiar with "the paul II" but it wasn't one of those. It was an epiphone. Everything was original, I bought it new. It was the first "real" guitar I bought. I layed it away and made payments on it. I think it was around $300 new back in the day. It was a single cut away shape with a bolt on neck, all black hardware, including black covered pickups that looked like EMGs, but didn't have logos on them. I remember this guitar being very easy to play and I liked it quite a bit. The pearl white was very classy looking.

Archived