Gibson Brands Forums

Tube Amp Volume Question

Sorry for the noob question but I can't seem to find an answer for this. I have an Epi 5W half stack and really love the tone but wish I could get a bit more volume. I have heard that a 5W amp can produce half the volume as a 50W amp. Assuming that this is true, does that mean that if I use two 5W amp half stacks that it will be as loud as the 50W amp? Does this even make sense that it could be true? Thanks for any responses.

I never seem to find what I'm looking for till I don't need it. I had a really good web page that describes what you're looking for; but I can't find it. So...

I "borrowed" this chart from AX84.com

Here are some "for instances":

100dB sensitivity:

1 speaker rated at 100dB driven at 1 watt = 100dB volume at 1 meter

1 speaker rated at 100dB driven at 10 watts = 110dB volume at 1 meter

1 speaker rated at 100dB driven at 100 watts = 120dB volume at 1 meter

4 speakers rated at 100dB driven at 1 watt = 106dB volume at 1 meter

4 speakers rated at 100dB driven at 10 watts = 116dB volume at 1 meter

4 speakers rated at 100dB driven at 100 watts = 126dB volume at 1 meter

95dB sensitivity:

1 speaker rated at 95dB driven at 1 watt = 95dB volume at 1 meter

1 speaker rated at 95dB driven at 10 watts = 105dB volume at 1 meter

1 speaker rated at 95dB driven at 100 watts = 115dB volume at 1 meter

4 speakers rated at 95dB driven at 1 watt = 101dB volume at 1 meter

4 speakers rated at 95dB driven at 10 watts = 111dB volume at 1 meter

4 speakers rated at 95dB driven at 100 watts = 121dB volume at 1 meter

So you can see that ONE 100dB speaker driven at 10 watts is just as loud as FOUR 95dB speakers driven at 10 watts

I'll give you a nood answer until the electronic wiz bangers here get on....just know enough to be dangerous #-o .

Anyhow, and just from reading, but half the wattage is only going to give you a 3db increase or deacrease in volume depending which way you go with the watts. To get it to where the human ear perceives it as a doubling in volume you would have to increase the dbs 10 times......again just from reading and hopping I understood it correctly. Even the folks that have put this info out say it is a theory and more of ball park figures than actuality. Like I said you'll have to wait for the geniuses here to come on.....I'm more of a pusha-da-gas and go type :- .

I can tell you that two 5 watt amps are not going be as loud as 1 50 watt amp. You could try a cab with bigger speaker. Wont make it louder, although it will sound as such, but it should dispers further.

edit// I need to learn to type faster.

Sorry for the noob question but I can't seem to find an answer for this. I have an Epi 5W half stack and really love the tone but wish I could get a bit more volume. I have heard that a 5W amp can produce half the volume as a 50W amp. Assuming that this is true' date=' does that mean that if I use two 5W amp half stacks that it will be as loud as the 50W amp? Does this even make sense that it could be true? Thanks for any responses.[/quote']

No, it's all logarithmic. To get twice as loud, you need ten times the wattage. Ten times the wattage raises the sound level 3 dbs. I really hate math, so you are on your own figuring the db rise of ten watts.

dB = log (P1/P2)

where P = Power

Archived