Gibson Brands Forums

help me identify my epiphone acoustic

jebero

I have what looks like a rather unique epiphone acoustic guitar from approx (very roughly) 1970. I remember buying it with my sister and how it stood out for sound. She's had the guitar all this time. Her kids when they were young pulled the label out of it so there's no markings. But it has a couple of unique features that should be identifiable to someone knowledgable. First is the oval soundhole and second is the braceless arched back. I'd just like to know more about what it is I own. any help greatly appreciated. Jeff

I have what looks like a rather unique epiphone acoustic guitar from approx (very roughly) 1970. I remember buying it with my sister and how it stood out for sound. She's had the guitar all this time. Her kids when they were young pulled the label out of it so there's no markings. But it has a couple of unique features that should be identifiable to someone knowledgable. First is the oval soundhole and second is the braceless arched back. I'd just like to know more about what it is I own. any help greatly appreciated. Jeff

Does it look like this?

e791_1.jpg

fc17_1.jpg

or like this?

eh19-4.jpg

eh29-4.jpg

Nelson

It's a jumbo, very thick body. Unique voice, tremendous volume. Slightly arched back with no bracing. I've never heard one like it, very unique. I put elixirs on it for ease of playing and still need to lower the action just a bit but very cool indeed. Still don't know what it is though.....

Nelson' date=' it's very similar to the first picture you posted just the inlays on the neck are different. Well. What do I have?[/quote']

The first guitar was an NV-390 which was probably the top of the Japanese-made "Nova"/"Noveau " line that was around in the early/mid 1980's. There were lower level versions as well and yours looks like an NO-180 that I think was a bit later in the 80's but still made by Matsumoku. There was also a 12 string version.

The other guitar was an Epiphone Howard Roberts that was made from about 1963 until about 1969 but then was reissued as a Gibson-branded model in 1973.

Nelson

thanks Nelson. I think I'm closing in on it: Here's a pic I found on the web: http://img292.imageshack.us/img292/7509/epiphone2pq3.jpg

It's of an NO-295 made in japan early to mid seventies. This sounds much more like it to me as to the era. I know it couldn't be 80's. There was mention of the NO-180 having dot markers and your NV is obviously different too. So for now it appears I have an NO-295. Sounds from reading that epiphone made a quality instrument in japan during the early 70's and then got flushed by cheap competition. I've got the action where I like it and with new strings I'm really quite satisfied with it. gotta love my sis....

Thanks everyone for your help. If anything else comes up let me know. Jeff

Ok, I got out the Walter Carter/Epiphone book and according to it, there were five models in the Nova series:

NO-180 - Mahogany back, dot inlay, 6-string

NO-245 - Rosewood back, block inlay, 12-string

NO-295 - Rosewood back, block inlay, 6-string

NO-390 - Rosewood back, cloud inlay, 6-string

NO-390J - same specs as 390, same price as 390, no explanation for the 'J'

The Nova series was only produced from '76 through '79, and doesn't appear on the 1980 price list. So based on your picture, Jeff, I think you're right, you've got an NO-295. Nice guitar!

Ok' date=' I got out the Walter Carter/Epiphone book and according to it, there were five models in the Nova series:

The Nova series was only produced from '76 through '79, and doesn't appear on the 1980 price list. So based on your picture, Jeff, I think you're right, you've got an NO-295. Nice guitar![/quote']

what's the re-sale value on this item? i'm in serious lust here!

cunkhead. me thinks you can obtain one on the cheap. They are not of "collector quality" because of gibson having had trouble with norlin and epiphone being perceived as a part of gibson. At least that's my understanding. In other words, these are sleepers. I don't know, somewhere around 2-300 would be my guess. But you're in the right place to find out. Jeff

Ok' date=' I got out the Walter Carter/Epiphone book and according to it, there were five models in the Nova series:

The Nova series was only produced from '76 through '79, and doesn't appear on the 1980 price list. So based on your picture, Jeff, I think you're right, you've got an NO-295. Nice guitar![/quote']

I hate to question Walt (wouldn't be the first time) but the Nova series came after the Presentation (PR) series which started around 1978/79. I'd say the Nova series was around more like 1980-1983 (when Epiphone acoustic production was moved to Korea) which is why it isn't on the 1980 price list and it's not on my Spring 1979 dealer price list either. There was also a twelve string version (if not more than one 12 string models) I think called the NVJ-12. Walt's Epiphone book has some serious errors in it especially when it comes to the Epiphone Japanese Era.

Note to Jebero- The last thing you want is an early 70's Epiphone acoustic. The first series of Matsumoku-made acoustics came along in 1971 and was called the "FT" series and the first models were heel-less bolt-on necks (actually all Japanese Epiphone acoustics were bolt-on but some models had a heel which made them appear to be actual set-necks) on dipped in plastic ply-wood boxes. As I said above, in the late 70's they replaced that line with the "PR" series (which is still around). At the end of the 70's Epiphone got adventurous and came out with the Genesis and Scroll electrics along with the oval sound-holed Nova series which augmented the "PR" line. The Nova acoustics ended with the move to Korea and the "PR" series continued.

Nelson

Well, I asked my sister when she thought we bought it. She said I played that guitar at her wedding. That was in 1978. The guitar was purchased a year or two before that. Say 76 or 77. I dug up some old pictures and sure enough, that's the guitar I played. I think johnl has it right according to our experiences. Funny how there's not more accurate records. Jeff

Well' date=' I asked my sister when she thought we bought it. She said I played that guitar at her wedding. That was in 1978. The guitar was purchased a year or two before that. Say 76 or 77. I dug up some old pictures and sure enough, that's the guitar I played. I think johnl has it right according to our experiences. Funny how there's not more accurate records. Jeff[/quote']

I could very well be mistaken then...it wouldn't be the first time. I was a partner in a music shop that was an authorized Epiphone dealer from 1976 until 1980 and I don't recall seeing them until later.. around the time I sold my interest in the shop but then I wasn't that involved with the Epiphones (I was mainly involved with used equipment...now called "vintage stuff" on the other side of the shop) so they could have been there for years and me not notice ...I will most certainly defer to JohnL and congratulate you on your guitar.

Nelson

• 4 months later...

Fellow Ephifans,

I purchased, and still own, an Epiphone Nova NO-390 in 1976 at Crippa Music Center in Hibbing, Minnesota. It is the exact one shown in the Sept. 17 post by Nelson leaning against the Marshall amp. Mine still has the label with the model number, so there is no doubt about its identity. It was made in Japan by Norlin. It has a slightly arched back with no internal struts. The front and back are both solid rather than ply. Rosewood neck with "cloud" inlays.

I bought it when I was 16 for the rediculous price of about $650 from a guy who didn't tell a foolish kid that no one pays the list price, but I would do it again because it was love at first sight. She is still the (musical) love of my life. It has been played by people who actually know something, and they have uniformly sung (OK, strummed) it's praises. She has had a couple of surgeries after I got careless (because you only hurt the ones you love). The sound is not quite what it once was due to the damage I inflicted (broken strap, concrete floor, bad combination). I have other guitars, some of which are in better condition, but I will always love this guitar best, even if I cheat on her with another instrument.

](*' date=') Does anyone have information on the Epiphone PR-350 (made in Korea) ?The serial number is B10921111.[/quote']

cpcholt, Might want to start a new thread. It woudl get more exposure to those interested or knowlegable on this model series.. which I'm not. Include the model number in the subject line.

Oh, and welcome cpcholt!

Archived