Gibson Brands Forums

Jensen Speakers

Just Strum

I am looking at Jensen speakers for a couple of things:

1) My Valve Jr

2) My AD30VT

3) as a speaker for a cab

Someone had mentioned the Jensen Mod speaker to me, but the lower price (versus the Celestion G10) has me concerned about performance.

Has anyone used the Jensen Mod or any of the other Jensen speakers and what are your thoughts?

I am looking at Jensen speakers for a couple of things....

Has anyone used the Jensen Mod or any of the other Jensen speakers and what are your thoughts?

It depends on what style music & what tone you seek' date=' but I would keep looking. Jensen's are cheap -- but IMO here is where you get what you pay for. Maybe okay for surf rock or other thin sounding oldies rock. In fairness, I've disliked Jensen from the days when their crappy car audio speakers were all I could afford. I've also owned Jensen in a couple of crap SS amps - blah. When I shopped for speakers last year to match to my VJr. head, I did try the Mod and a couple others but was way underwhelmed.

I like rich, full, creamy blues/rock tones with a lot of mid and a well-defined thumping punch at the bottom. I liked several Eminence and Weber offerings even in their 8" or 10" versions. Ended up buying 12" Eminence Cannabis Rex, a Peavey/Weber Blue Marvel and a Celestion Vintage 30. I have my tone nirvana across a spectrum from pure blues, CCR/ZZ blues rock, and even Petty/Stones classic rock with VJr [i'](+POD & Keeley BD-2)[/i] driving.

I L-O-V-E my Cannabis Rex for bluesy low down grit and grease, but if I was forced to choose the best all-around with VJr. (i.e. most versatile), I would have to take my Peavey/Weber Blue Marvel.

Luck to you -- I shopped for almost a year until I found what I needed -- but then I'm a finicky tube tone junky.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

I've been using 2 of those Italian made P10R's together for over two years.Using them w/ my Vj now. I think they are fine speakers after some breakin.You gotta get real Bassy & loud with them for about the 1st 3 months. They are on the brighter side o things even being alnico.Clear as can be if wanted but always has a "I can get nasty if need be" tone. I use a multi effect pedal that has some amp models that get me toward Celestion tone. I'm sure the old school P10R's where better,alot of my fav recordings where through them.

On the other had ,I've never played through a Greenback or real Blue, So who am I to talk.](*,)

Archived