Gibson Brands Forums

Bridge On Sheraton II '96-'97 Help!

chrisbroom1983

I've owned my Sheraton II for 11 years now and have had very few problems over the years, however now the strings have started breaking very frequently at the bridge.

I contacted customer services who, after lengthy & difficult correspondance, informed me that apparently, even though the Sheraton II is still in production, they use a different bridge now and cannot offer me a replacement! #-o

They included in the e-mail a list of links to try to find a replacement bridge, but I had no luck. Regular LP, SG or nashville bridges won't fit.

I have been told I could temporarily solve the problem by filing the notches in the bridge saddles with a diamond file to remove possible burrs causing the string breakages, but ideally I'd like to eventually replace the bridge.

So......Can anyone help me find a replacement bridge for an Epiphone Sheraton II made around 1996-97???

And.... Can anyone advise me what type/size of needle file to use & how to go about it?????????

The string breakages are just getting to annoying to handle anymore!!

Chris,

Welcome to the forum.

Let's hope TWANG or one of the others chimes in. He and others that deal with replacement parts would be of much more help than I could ever be.

As far as files go...Use the smallest finest one that you can get your hands on. Use is Lightly. You can always take more off. Hard to put it back on. Burs are usually small and don't require much work.

Also, could you possibly just change the bridge saddles and not the bridge?

I know this isn't much help...I'm a L.P. guy. I love the way Sheratons look, I just don't know much about them.

You might be able to smooth the saddle grooves with some 400 or 600 wet or dry (the black stuff) sandpaper wrapped around a wooden toothpick. Use the toothpick/sandpaper like a mini rat tail file. It doesn't have to be a toothpick, but you get the idea. As Willy warned, try not to go deeper; just smooth out what's there.

I think I read a post about a discontinued Gotoh bridge that someone still has in stock, but that might have been for an earlier Sheraton.

A torch tip cleaner is just the thing for deburring saddles, also works great for fine tuning a nut. You can get one for 2 or 3 bucks (or quid) at any good hardware store. Just pick the blade that's about the same size as the string and gently run it back and forth through the saddle groove. Here's a similar one to the one I use on ebay (no affiliation) :

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wypo-Torch-Tip-Cleaner_W0QQitemZ230281399814QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230281399814&_trksid=p3286.c0.m234

Hopefully this helps.

- Jay

Jay (or someone else) gave me the same tip when I asked about nut slots. I will get to Sears and pick up a set.

Yup, coulda' been me. I lost my nut files when I moved about 10 years ago (they're probably still in a box in the basement :D ). I looked at the price to replace them, and YIKES 8-[ they went WAY up !!! Someone suggested the torch tip cleaner, and to be honest I really haven't missed the nut files since.

- Jay

Thanks for all the advice people! Will try filing the saddles lightly for the time being.

Whitmore willy- I would just replace the saddles but the whole bridge is gold plated, fading & 11 years old so it's time I changed it anyways. Still can't find a replacement!!!!!:-s

All info anybody has about hardware on Sheraton II's made 1996-97(ie, bridges, pickups, tuners, nuts, fretwire, etc) will be very much appreciated as i will gradually be replacing stuff.

• 4 years later...

So I have a different problem with the same bridge. One of the saddle adjustment screws broke and now I am tasked with either replacing the bridge, which I'd rather not do, or trying to find a replacement screw for a bridge that apparently isn't made anymore and therefore has no available replacement parts. Any ideas?

Archived