Gibson Brands Forums

I'm a new Masterbilt owner with a decision

Grandpa Larry

Hello to all of you fellow Epi owners.

After much research and difficult pondering, I bought an AJ500MVS. I got it from online dealer American Music Supply, so I didn't have the opportunity to play or even see my axe before it arrived at my door.

I must admit I am blown away by the quality of it's sound. It has more than lived up to the hype given it by various reviewers.

I have only one complaint. The vintage sunburst finish is pretty ugly. It's sort of an orange and, let me tell you, the sunburst in a matt finish is not a pretty combination. It's especially disappointing after viewing the picture of a gloss top natural one of you posted elsewhere.

Now AMS will allow me to return my guitar, and I can order one in another finish, but I'm afraid it won't sound as good. I'd appreciate suggestions. BTW, the Masterbilt guitars no longer come with a free case. I'll need to buy one of those, too.

I don't think I would worry about the quality, or tone in this case. I've played a lot of masterbilt's, & have never played a bad one. I have an AJ500M. I'm amazed every time I play this thing.

If you want to trade it back for something else, I say go for it. Get what you want!!

The only thing I would worry about, is whether they have what you want in stock, or not. "That" could be a problem!!

Epiphone hasn't included a case for a couple of years. I found a used one on CL, for a good price.

+1 on what paul said. my aj500m in antique natural is now my go to guitar. i played the VB version in the shop side by side with the one i bought and like you, did not care for the burst. and i like burst, normally. if you're looking to allay fears that you may get a dud or things might not be up to your expectations, check out harmony central reviews. this guitar, especially the hog, gets very high ratings across the board from all owners. surprising still is that it even edges out the rosewood version overall, though the aj500r is a fine guitar in its own right. if you get it and dislike it, you can go from there but i'll bet you'll be amazed. i know i am.

aj500m.jpg

Hello to all of you fellow Epi owners.

After much research and difficult pondering' date=' I bought an AJ500MVS. I got it from online dealer American Music Supply, so I didn't have the opportunity to play or even see my axe before it arrived at my door.

I must admit I am blown away by the quality of it's sound. It has more than lived up to the hype given it by various reviewers.

I have only one complaint. The vintage sunburst finish is pretty ugly. It's sort of an orange and, let me tell you, the sunburst in a matt finish is not a pretty combination. It's especially disappointing after viewing the picture of a gloss top natural one of you posted elsewhere.

Now AMS will allow me to return my guitar, and I can order one in another finish, but I'm afraid it won't sound as good. I'd appreciate suggestions. BTW, the Masterbilt guitars no longer come with a free case. I'll need to buy one of those, too.[/quote']

There should be no difference in tone between a sunburst and a natural.

Send it back and get one that you'll want to play.

I've been sitting here playing song after song: Guitar Rag, Don't Think Twice, Newsboy Jimmy Brown, Darkness Darkness, they all sound so DAMN good on this axe I'm not sure if I can bring myself to send it back. Were you guys like this when you first got yours?

Can this really be a Chinese guitar? I had a Gibson J45 years ago and it sounded good, but I don't think it sounded this good.

I've been sitting here playing song after song: Guitar Rag' date=' Don't Think Twice, Newsboy Jimmy Brown, Darkness Darkness, they all sound so DAMN good on this axe I'm not sure if I can bring myself to send it back. Were you guys like this when you first got yours?

Can this really be a Chinese guitar? I had a Gibson J45 years ago and it sounded good, but I don't think it sounded this good.[/quote']

i played mine side by side with every gibson in the store. the only ones i liked better were the AJ (not by much) and the j45TV. these guitars cost 1900-2200 dollars more than the aj500. daily, i play it in front of a condenser mic and listen to it through headphones, marvelling at the overtones and resonance. i know exactly how you feel.

they all sound so DAMN good on this axe I'm not sure if I can bring myself to send it back. Were you guys like this when you first got yours?

Yep. I couldn't stand the purple shade that was so unlike the photo. Someone else strums it now and mine is natural.

In the end, it's your money. Spend it to make you happy, not us.

LarryL,

I have the AJ-500R, and I felt the same way when I got it two years ago. I play at least 30 minutes every day, and I am still amazed at the sound. You could look at it like this: Your burst is different, therfore unique, and if you hang on to that guitar, in no time at all it's gonna really feel like your 'one of a kind' guitar. I've played a dozen Masterbilts, and they're all good, but I wouldn't trade mine for any two of them. If you love the sound, I don't envy your decision. The next one you get could look the same and not sound so good.

I want to thank everyone who responded to my post. I took your opinions seriously because all of you own similar instruments to mine, and understood my dilemma.

The look of my axe has sort of grown on me and I've decided to keep it. It sounds so good I just can't bear to send it back. I've already bought a case for it, a Durafoam Dreadnaught case from MF. It's similar to the case which Epi used to supply free with the guitar.

Here's another thing. I don't know how many of you read Vintage Guitar Mag. In the October, 2008 Issue, the 401K Guitars Column, on page 92, there's an article on the original Gibson Advanced Jumbo from the late 1930's. It's accompanied by a black and white photo of that guitar. I was reading it in bed the other night, when my wife peered over my shoulder and commented: "It looks like your guitar."

It sure does!

All I need now is to install a strap button, and find just the right strap. I also want to find a pick guard that looks like the one on the original Gibson AJ. Does anyone here know the best way to remove the guard that comes on these Epi's?

"Here's another thing. I don't know how many of you read Vintage Guitar Mag. In the October, 2008 Issue, the 401K Guitars Column, on page 92, there's an article on the original Gibson Advanced Jumbo from the late 1930's. It's accompanied by a black and white photo of that guitar. I was reading it in bed the other night, when my wife peered over my shoulder and commented: "It looks like your guitar."

38AJ1.jpg

Was it this one?

1938 AJ

It was that one or it's brother. Is it yours? If it is, I'll give you a dollar for the pickguard.

And, yeah, I'm enjoying playing mine a lot. I'd love to be able to buy one of the 12 fret AJ500RC models, but no one seems to have one. Every once in awhile a scratch and dent appears on the MF, or AMS web site, but when I call to order it it's already gone.

Norman Blake plays a slot head 12 fret slope shoulder dred. I love the sound he gets from that axe. I believe it's a Martin. You can hear him play it, capoed way-ay up the neck, on the 6th fret, on UTube:

He gets a beautiful chime-like sound, a gorgeous example of the type of sound that people love in Martin's guitars. The sound of my AJ is beautiful too, but it is much darker. Even capoed up it's not the same. Maybe the 12 fret would be closer.

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard these satin finishes buff up pretty nice… to quite a high gloss. I'm thinking of trying it with mine.

Archived