Gibson Brands Forums

I fancy a valve special

Woko

Hello all. I am thinking of buying a valve special for home use. I have tryed one in the shop and it sounds fine to me it is for home use only as I use a Fender blues reissui for live work. The wife is always moaning if I get the fender amp out so the smaller valve special seems a good plan for me.

what do you folk think of this amp . Any good or what .

I love mine, tho it took an awful long time for the speaker to break in. The reverb, which is one big reason I got it surprised me for being digital. The tonestack is just barely useable. I play around every great once in awhile with the other effects, but not often. For someone like me who only uses distortion and reverb they're fine, but not wonderful, the reverb is much better. I can get a really nice Bluesy tone with the volume up and the master volume down. Quite a bit of growl actually, oldtime metal tone, with the MV down to about 2 or 8:00. I have a Junior too, and the

tone matches the Junior but at a lower volume. Volume and MV full up it's great. I think the Junior's distortion must come mainly from the preamp, from the tonal similarities between the volume control on the VJr and VSp. My standby switch has been crap from about day one, it needs a new one. It just gets worse. I do get a little more volume out of the VSp than the VJr, but I think the 10 inch over 8 inch speaker could be the reason for that. Tone wise I like it just as much as my VJr combo. The tranny seems to saturate just a tad more than the VJr, which I do like. All in all I prefer the Special, but there are people on here that don't, but I'm not sure they really gave it a chance.

You may want to hold off on that Valve Special a little longer. It probably seems like a good deal, but the green circuit boards in them can be very problematic and they have that lousy 7.5k output transformer which so many people swap out for something better and then rave about the wonderful new tone. The Vspcl's quality is poor, and on par with the v2 VJr; so unless you plan to rebuild it like many a v2 VJr has been, you may find it spending a lot of time in the shop for repair.

Epiphone will have their new models on the floor within a month if all goes well, and the quality should be equal to the version 3 VJr, which is VASTLY superior in both construction and tone to the version 2. I'd wait.

Gil...

You may want to hold off on that Valve Special a little longer. It probably seems like a good deal' date=' but the green circuit boards in them can be very problematic and they have that lousy 7.5k output transformer which so many people swap out for something better and then rave about the wonderful new tone. The Vspcl's quality is poor, and on par with the v2 VJr; so unless you plan to rebuild it like many a v2 VJr has been, you may find it spending a lot of time in the shop for repair.

Epiphone will have their new models on the floor within a month if all goes well, and the quality should be equal to the version 3 VJr, which is VASTLY superior in both construction and tone to the version 2. I'd wait.

Gil...[/quote']Thanks Gil I will give a swerve for the time being. I wonderd why they were so cheap £119.00 is not a lot of money for a class A amp.

Archived