Gibson Brands Forums

When did they make short scale AJ500's?

Grandpa Larry

I suppose he will reply' date=' but I assumed the 05 GIB AJ was short scale.[/quote']

Exactly right!! I got it form guitarsale.com.

It is a gibson AJ short scale. Guitar sale has this model in Rosewood-Mahogany-Maple-& Koa

Mine is rosewood. At the time I was torn between getting a RW J-45, or an AJ. This guitar is J-45 scale with AJ bracing.

Not really an AJ not really a J-45 (I think the J-45 custom is the same, except for the inlay, & a few other minor details)

I LOVE it!!

Exactly right!! I got it form guitarsale.com.

It is a gibson AJ short scale. Guitar sale has this model in Rosewood-Mahogany-Maple-& Koa

Mine is rosewood. At the time I was torn between getting a RW J-45' date=' or an AJ. This guitar is J-45 scale with AJ bracing.

Not really an AJ not really a J-45 (I think the J-45 custom is the same, except for the inlay, & a few other minor details)

I LOVE it!![/quote']

I've got a Gibson J35 made for Fuller's Vintage Guitars. It's short scale (like the J45), but has the Advanced Jumbo bracing on a Red Spruce top. The back and sides are mahogany (like a tradional J45). It has the "higher on the bass side" bridge of the AJ. Just dots on the neck, like a J45. Huge neck, like...neither, right now. As you say, not really an AJ, not really a J45. But--a FANTASTIC guitar. Possibly my favorite.

Red 333

Where can I learn about the different bracing types?

I got a book called Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars. It's a good source of information about Gibson acoustic's.

Basically, & history of Gibson's.

I got it off ebay a few years ago. The paperback is not too pricey. I guess the hardback is pricey,as well as hard to find??

Red' date=' That sounds like a very cool guitar!! Would that have a natural finish? Would love to see some pics.

[/quote']

Nope, it has a nice burst. The light center is smaller than the bursts they put on the J45, J160E, or AJ etc., now. It's more like the burst on the OJ (Original Jumbo). My Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500R has a similar bust, with more dark along the outer edges than the norm. I guess Gibson and Epiphone uses this burst when they want to evoke a pre-World War 2 vibe.

I'll get some pics on here some day. I just never seem to have the time.

There's one the Fuller's Vintage site now (in the Gibson Exclusives section of the Acoustic area), but that one has les dark area in the burst than mine.

I did see a natural Advanced Jumbo, once. That's sort of unusual. It had Herringbone trim, which I though was very interesting, as that's not usually associated with Gibson. It was being offered for sale used, but before I could find out anything about it, someone bought it.

Red 333

Red 333

I got a book called Gibson's Fabulous Flat-Top Guitars. It's a good source of information about Gibson acoustic's.

Basically' date=' & history of Gibson's.

I got it off ebay a few years ago. The paperback is not too pricey. I guess the hardback is pricey,as well as hard to find??[/quote']

It's been out of print for a long time, and is being revised. I got a copy at Outlaw Music in Missoula, Montana. It's run by an ex-Gibson employee, and when I bought it (last summer), they had about a dozen. Look them up on the web and give them a call. They may still have copies.

The other way to learn a little something about bracing is to get a lighted inspection mirror, and poke it into some soundholes!

Red 333

Archived