Gibson Brands Forums

Any of you guys use frequency boosters?

Gashole

I played through a BBE Freq. Boost. in a store the other day and am GASing a little now. I'm thinking I could really come close to making my BC30 sound like an AC30 w/ it. Sort of the same feature as the top boost the Vox has already. Then there is the rectifier, the class A functioning....The Voxyness of the BC30 is my favorite aspect of it, or the ability of it to get into that ballpark anyway. I've described it often to friends as my, "Poor man's AC30"

Anyway...

Anybody trying this or a similar combo? I went down on impulse to buy it today, but the only one they had was sold! (purchased by the employee who turned me onto it LOL) I suspect I'll haul my amp and a P90 axe and a humbucker axe down to the store once they get another one of the pedals in stock and check it out, but for now...

?

Anybody trying this or a similar combo? I went down on impulse to buy it today' date=' but the only one they had was sold! (purchased by the employee who turne

[/quote']

I love Parametric Equalizers. Very easy to enhance a guitar's character and really make it sing. If I'd had to pick one from my pedal-board it would probably be the PE.

What's a parametric EQ? Similar to a graphic eq?

Not really. A GE is using fixed frequencies(bands), severely limiting tone-shaping. That's why they need a kazillion slider-controls to cover the whole frequency-spectrum...

A PE will allow you to dial in the preferred frequency at pinpoint precision.

Generally a PE will have controls for Level(boost/cut), Frequency, and Bandwidth(Slope, Q). If it doesn't have Q it's called a Semi-Parametric Equalizer.

Q, affects the frequencies around or next to your chosen peakfrequency. Full up makes a "rounded" tone somewhat similar sounding to a (fixed position-)wah.

A PE makes a terrific solo boost, without use of a booster/overdrive pedal Or you could use it to scoop the mids, if you're into that... It's remarkable to see so few PE's in pedalboards. Maybe the association with studio/recording gear that has people ignore these?

Guitarplayers like Michael Schenker or Adrian Vandenberg are using a wah-pedal as a semi-parametric equaliser. A wah-pedal will seriously deteriorate the quality of the sound. Muddy up the bass, eat up highs etc. Also it's technically different in the sense it usually won't allow to adjust Q(alltho lately they have introduced wahs with 'Q-ability') and (graphically)it's showing a notch after the slope.

A good PE is designed to 'ignore' any frequency you haven't dialed in.

Archived