Gibson Brands Forums

PR5 E

tflanster

Anybody know the dimensions of this guitar? I'm interested in the thickness. Is it as thick as say, a 4 3/4" dreadnaught? I haven't been able to find any info like this from the website or google.

Also, what would be a typical price of a used one. I see a couple on a local Craigslist for about $200 +/-. Seems to me that's kinda high for a used $300 brand-new one. Especially in today's market. I'm guessing they're only worth, used, about $125 - $130 or so.

Anybody know the dimensions of this guitar? I'm interested in the thickness. Is it as thick as say' date=' a 4 3/4" dreadnaught? I haven't been able to find any info like this from the website or google.

Also, what would be a typical price of a used one. I see a couple on a local Craigslist for about $200 +/-. Seems to me that's kinda high for a used $300 brand-new one. Especially in today's market. I'm guessing they're only worth, used, about $125 - $130 or so. [/quote']

I'm not sure of the exact thickness but the body on the PR5E is thinner than that of a standard dreadnaught.

If it comes with a hard case I don't think $200 isn't so bad for a used one.

I'm not sure of the exact thickness but the body on the PR5E is thinner than that of a standard dreadnaught.

If it comes with a hard case I don't think $200 isn't so bad for a used one.

O.K. thanks. I think the guy said he has a hard case as well.

• 1 month later...

My PR5E's body is 3 3/8 thick.

I just bought it new at a guitar store in Phoenix.

I chose it over 8 other acoustic/electrics that I tried that day, and in my opinion its resonance and overall sound beat out all of the competition.

That includes several other Epiphones as well as Yamaha, Ibenez and Fender acoustics.

No, I didn't compare it with the Gibsons, Guilds or Martins because they were so far out of the price range I was looking for I didn't dare touch them.

This guitar is using the mono "E-Sonic" pickup system, not the "E-Sonic2" stereo type and so far I'm totally impressed with it.

The depth, resonance and full overall sound qualities when it is pluged into my amp is quite amazing.

I have read a few negative writings about the E-Sonic2 but after 10 hours of playing thru the pickup it is still going strong. (Yes, I know that isn't very many hours but I just got the thing a few days ago).

I did replace the strings with Elixir extra light (.010) 80/20 bronze polyweb's and even though these are lighter than the strings that came on the guitar (.012) the sound from the pickup is just as full.

I also increased the depth of the grooves on the nut to decrease the distance from the strings to the frets. This plus the lighter Elixir strings makes for a very easy fingering instrument.

So far I'm very impressed with this guitar.

I would say that I recommend it but as most of you guys/gals know guitars are a very personal thing and each one of us knows when something "feels right" to us. To someone else that "feel" may or may not be there. It is something that only you can decide for yourself.

Cheers

Jim

There actually 2 different PR-5E, there's the model EEP5, which has a MSR of $499, 100% grade runs $300,excellent grade runs $175-225 and then they have the Artist model EEA5 which ran with a MSR of $799 and 100% grade of $575 and a excellent grade of $325-400 and an average grade of $175-225 (and were discontinued about 1999) according to the blue book, I also believe they where all laminate top and bottom and sides and they are definetely thinner then a dread and don't project as much as a dread could, but they do have a nice sound plugged into a amp.Also I don't believe they originally came with a hard case, so be careful of the fit.Ship

Archived