Gibson Brands Forums

Guitar Dater Project

bigtufguy

Hey, I just ran my Hummingbird NA through the guitar dater project. It is a pretty slick setup. I didn't have much info on my guitar and the site was quite a help. Here is what I found out

101408063705.png

My question is this, It tells me that my Hummingbird was production number 625. Does this mean there are at least 625 other Hummingbirds with natural finishes or just 625 other Hummingbirds in various finishes produced in January of 2008 ? Does anyone have an answer. I just curious. Thanks in advance for any info.

small_bird%20NA.jpg

Ha! Found it :) Seems like the guy is working hard to provide needed info. I was very disappointed, though, to find that neither my vintage Epi nor my Japanese Epi were recognized by serial number or model number. Hopefully, he'll keep adding. I found what I needed at other Web sites so I know that there's info out there on them :)

Ha! Found it :) Seems like the guy is working hard to provide needed info. I was very disappointed' date=' though, to find that neither my vintage Epi nor my Japanese Epi were recognized by serial number or model number. Hopefully, he'll keep adding. I found what I needed at other Web sites so I know that there's info out there on them :)[/quote']

He's only been post 'beta' stage for about a year to 18 mos. There is a feature you can use to input a 'not found' species of Epiphone. When they can, he'll update what he can dig up. i.e. it's user dependent for updates on obscure or new models. So... do your part and input your info when asked.

..My question is this' date=' It tells me that my Hummingbird was production number 625. Does this mean there are at least 625 other Hummingbirds with natural finishes or just 625 other Hummingbirds in various finishes produced in January of 2008 [/img']

I'm guessing it's a sequence number irrespective of option level. They probably make a 'run' of identical blonde versions, then a run of bursted continuing the same sequence. Since there is NO 'position' in the serial number which designates a given model, it may have been the 625th unit of all models made, not just 'birds.

He's only been post 'beta' stage for about a year to 18 mos. There is a feature you can use to input a 'not found' species of Epiphone. When they can' date=' he'll update what he can dig up. i.e. it's user dependent for updates on obscure or new models. So... do your part and input your info when asked.[/quote']

Ahhh, that's what that was. OK, I'll go back and play with it. Thanks for the info [-(

• 5 weeks later...
Dubstar' date=' THANK YOU ! My 'bird is listed under "2008 INDEPENDENT DEALER NETWORK EXCLUSIVES ". Could someone please tell me what that means ? Any help is appreciated.[/quote']

Sounds like it was available only through Mom and Pop stores and not chain stores.

Other than the natural finish are the specs same as the standard version? I would have sought one of these out a few months ago, but not now, things are tight for me right now I can't even consider it. Too bad, it's gorgeous. How does play and sound. I've never played an Epi Hummer. I did get to play a friends Gibby a few years back.

"I would have sought one of these out a few months ago, but not now, things are tight for me right now I can't even consider it."

Amen brother!! I have more guitars than dollars right now for sure.

Sounds like it was available only through Mom and Pop stores and not chain stores.

Other than the natural finish are the specs same as the standard version? I would have sought one of these out a few months ago' date=' but not now, things are tight for me right now I can't even consider it. Too bad, it's gorgeous. How does play and sound. I've never played an Epi Hummer. I did get to play a friends Gibby a few years back.

[/quote']

The specs are the same. I LOVE natural finish acoustics and the Hummingbird has sentimental value to as my brother always had a Lyle 'bird. He has passed away but, I still have his old 'bird. It is not in the best of shape but, I still have it. The guitar plays well. I The action is a bit high at the 12th fret though. I also have an EL-00 and right now, Bob Colosi is making a new saddle and a set of bridge pins in bone for it. As soon as it gets back, I will be sending him the saddle from my 'bird and replacing the bridge pins with bone as well. I will address the high action problem at that time. I'm sure with the bone saddle, correct string height, and a nice set of new elixirs..it will play like a dream. I have yet to run across another person who owns one of the Hummingbirds with a natural finish. I did purchase it from a small local dealer so, you may be onto something there. Thanks for the reply.

Mike

Archived