Gibson Brands Forums

videos

guitar_randy

Anyone know of a link that has a video showing the different sounds of the different Gibson pickups.I'd like to hear the difference in comparison to the 498t,490t,57 classics,and burstbuckers.

So far,all the videos I came across seemed like the 57's and burstbuckers have little to no bottom end.Alot of highs or very much treble,but no range.It could be the amp,recording,don't know,but it has my curiosity up now.

It's hard to hear what they actually sound like over the internet. You have to experience it up close. The guitars they use also affect the overall tone of the pickup. If you're hearing an SG with all those sounds, it could sound different in a Les Paul, Xplorer, etc.

I agree, you either have to buy them all and test them out one by one, or find a guitar just like the one you wish to install them into with the pickups you would like to hear. I suggest going to guitar stores and testing similar guitars with a good amp. When I bought my first Iommi for a SG jr. w/mahogany body I just got lucky, and it was just like (hot) what I was looking for, the next one I got was combined with the Angus Young in a basswood Ibanez and I liked that too. I have tried out several pickups like SD Jazz, Alnico II, Fender, Ibanez, Dimebucker, BC Rich etc., but the most important thing is your amp.

I agree' date=' you either have to buy them all and test them out one by one, or find a guitar just like the one you wish to install them into with the pickups you would like to hear. I suggest going to guitar stores and testing similar guitars with a good amp. When I bought my first Iommi for a SG jr. w/mahogany body I just got lucky, and it was just like (hot) what I was looking for, the next one I got was combined with the Angus Young in a basswood Ibanez and I liked that too. I have tried out several pickups like SD Jazz, Alnico II, Fender, Ibanez, Dimebucker, BC Rich etc., but the most important thing is your amp.[/quote']

I know the amp is important.I got the amp covered.I hear alot of bad comments on the 498t pickups,and how the 57 classic is soo much better.It might just be people being pickup snobs and talking without really knowing what they are talking about,but who knows

I actually really like the 498T pickups. They can be a bit too bright and brittle at times, but you're able to adjust amp and guitar settings accordingly. They have Alnico V pickups which will give you a pretty powerful and punchy sound. I still like the '57 classics more, though. Alnico II's have darker vibe and a very "vintage" sound. It all depends on the person is what I'm trying to say.

Archived