Gibson Brands Forums

dog ears on top of the pickguard?

Stevie Nazarenie

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Black-Pearl-Gibson-SG-Classic-Pickguard-P-90_W0QQitemZ270287861285QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

i saw this on ebay and at first i thought the 2 holes by the pickups were for dog ears? i measured the distance i see quoted on a site for the pickups and if they sat on the pickguard the distance is about the same as i have with my pups now. i have not found a pic like this can you do it this way? the distance quoted between the pickup screw holes are 96.8mm neck and 98mm bridge is that the same as a dogear screw hole? if so i won't have to mess with routing.

also whats the original p90 alnico or ceramic? thanks.

whoops seems the distance is different here let me look again... i think the pickup height quoted is wrong. i'm not sure how tall it is? (depth.)

http://www.artecsound.com/pickups/index.html

on the sixth diagram down it shows the dimensions. in the middle it shows a symbol "h**" the key says available as 6mm or 9mmbut the diagram also says it's 15mm??? oh well i guess that would be 2 close to the strings!

The SG Classic uses soapbars rather than dogears, so the holes are for the height adjustment screws.

I think that the holes would be too far apart to mount a dogear. It might take you too close to the strings as well.

Most modern P90s use Alnico V. Early Gibson versions were Alnico III.

i thought th screws go through the body of the pickup on this one. i'm seeing ceramics alot for p90's?

Right, the actual mounting screws are between the polepieces on a soapbar vs. the side mount on the dogear. The holes on either side of the pickup aren't to mount the pickup.

Now that I've gone and looked more closely at a Classic, looks like the side screw holes actually just hold the pickguard down and don't have any other function. Anyone with a Classic know?

A true P90 (at least not Gibson style) won't have ceramic magnets.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GIBFBV

i'm sure someone said firebirds were ceramic thats why i'm now confused. :-s

anyone got a history on the early pickups? gibson did use ceramics... not sure if in any p90s though.

That's a Firebird V with ceramic mini-humbuckers. Firebird I and III models have P-90s.

Gibson.com doesn't mention construction on the P90 page' date=' but if you look at their P-94 (humbucker sized P-90) page here:

http://www.gibson.com/en%2Dus/Divisions/Gibson%20Gear/Pickups/P%2D94/

it says "The P-94 is a unique combination that provides the best of both worlds - the classic Gibson P-90 sound in a traditional humbucker-size housing. Replacing a humbucker with the P-94 requires no routing or other damaging modifications to the guitar.

The P-94 features uses the same enamel coated vintage wire and [i']Alnico V[/i] magnets as the P-90"

mmm... yes i see. i guess the switch with firebirds to ceramic was because the pickups were thought week? seems odd i'm seeing the ceramic p90's. i know gfs true 90's are alnico 5 and my mini hums on my lpd copy are alinico 5. but the wilkinson ones are ceramic and on some of the agiles. i guess they are not getting true vintage tone over output?

mmm... yes i see. i guess the switch with firebirds to ceramic was because the pickups were thought week? seems odd i'm seeing the ceramic p90's. i know gfs true 90's are alnico 5 and my mini hums on my lpd copy are alinico 5. but the wilkinson ones are ceramic and on some of the agiles. i guess they are not getting true vintage tone over output?

They probably switched to ceramic on the Firebirds for a hotter sound. The original Mini Humbuckers were Alnico, also. The Les Paul Classic had ceramic pickups as it was designed to have a classic look but a more "modern" sound. So I'd guess the Firebird was the same way.

Archived