Gibson Brands Forums

Common Beginner Mistakes

SomeIdiotDreamer

For fretting open chords (and all chords), thumb placement can make a big difference, especially when you're

first getting used to playing. Try some different thumb positions on the neck (most advise keeping the

thumb on the back center or lower portion of the back of the neck in between the index and middle finger), and

see if it helps your chords.

Progress with learning is always, ISTM, too slow! But take it easy, play frequently but don't overstress yourself

and keep at it and it will all come together.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"...Like' date=' I have really small hands and very short fingers. The cords are hard for me. I simply CANNOT get the D cord to sound clean: my fingers twist the EXACT WRONG WAY and my hand is sore and it all seems very hopeless right now..."

[/quote']

I'm not saying this is the problem but, one of the mistakes many make when they are first learning to play is that they use the flat part of the finger (where the finger print is) to press the strings down.

The flat part of the finger is rather soft and it seldom can hold the string against the fret or, it sometimes ends up laying on the fret.

Either of these things will deaden the string so that rather than being a nice true tone it is more like a dull thud.

With all chords except the bar chords they should be played using only the very end of the finger. In other words, the finger should be pointing straight down towards the neck as well as being close to the fret (but not extending onto the fret).

Of course, pressing the string with only the very end of the finger isn't possible when playing a full or partial bar chord but these can be worked on and learned later. For right now, practice using only the very end of the finger. :)

I'm not saying this is the problem but' date=' [u']one of the mistakes [/u]many make when they are first learning to play is that they use the flat part of the finger (where the finger print is) to press the strings down.

Not a mistake at all (yet may be contributing to note "dullness").

zonie is referring to the two fretting styles -- classical & rock -- both are appropriate. For speed and muting of undesired notes/strings, most electric guitarists focus upon playing rock style (finger flats). Accoustic players favor classical style (finger tips).

I learned on accoustic and struggled quite awhile to switch to rock style upon picking up electric. In fact, it took me awhile to discover why my electric chops, especially lead work, were not so hot. Since I focus on electric, I look back and wish I had started learning the "right way" for the type of music I wanted to play.

Although, I'm reluctant to add anything that might lead to confusion in this monster thread, I do so here b/c this is one of those times when beginners need to know options in order to pick what works best for them to play their preferred type of music.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

With all chords except the bar chords they should be played using only the very end of the finger.

What are you talking about...all chords should be played with the very end of the fingers if possible. Also as Steve states not a mistake if you don't.

Beginers have clumsy and mushy fingers at first...just takes practice and time to develop , or coordinate , your fingers. Just keep at Dreamer...you'll get it. As I 've already said a few times it isn't going to happen overnight and it takes a little work.

Second night in a row I've gone to sleep with my fingers sore. I think that's a good sign! Fussing around with the thing is addicting. ](*,)

Although' date=' I'm reluctant to add anything that might lead to confusion in this monster thread, I do so here b/c this is one of those times when beginners need to know options in order to pick what works [u']best for them [/u]to play their preferred type of music.

Don't worry about this thread's monster-ness. What I don't get now I'll get later when I re-read this with a bit more experience, and in the meantime, it might help someone else.

QUESTION EVERYONE:

What was the biggest challenge you faced while learning guitar, and how did you get over it?

QUESTION EVERYONE:

What was the biggest challenge you faced while learning guitar' date=' and how did you get over it?

[/quote']

Geez...that's so far back. Then again you really never stop learning.

As I've already mentioned before, sticking with it....LOL..even to this day sometimes I feel like tossing it. Learning timing and mixing it up with others.

As far as playing on the guitar itself, and IIRC...or at all. I'm sure there where allot more, but this is something everybody goes through at first anyhow. Speed and accuracy between changing chords....not having my guitar sound like a set of drums when playing bar chords. Timing between my right hand and left hand...LOL...I remember that one cause I'm still fitting it to this day ](*,) .

Which brings me to another tip...don't concentrate on your left hand so much that you forget your right hand. IMO...that's where all the action is....(or the groove, drive?). It's allot harder to fix bad habits then to working them right the first time...practice does NOT make perfect, it makes it permanent. Again ,as with all else, just IMO.

BTW and FWIW zonie, but I wasn't arguing with you, not my way, just rapping. I'm not as elegant as some of the rest here when it comes to expressing, or accurately describing, my meaning with words. Being part Italian and Spanish I need to be flinging my arms in the air when I speak ](*,) .

I've been playing for a couple of years now and am just beginning to think of myself as more than just a beginner. I've learned a lot from all the suggestions posted here.

One thing I've been working on lately is to try and play more from feeling and less from thinking. In the beginning that's hard, because there is so much you have to think about (as is all to clear from the length of this thread). The more I play, however, the more I seem to be able (at least at times) to stop thinking and just play. Of course, that only comes with practice, but I'm finding it's an important goal to keep in mind.

Or' date=' if you're like me and keep forgetting to do that, get some elixir strings. I like them a lot.

GC[/quote']

I don't like elixir strings the coating on the strings seems to deaden the tone for me. I don't like the way they feel or sound. I just wash my hands a lot I like the feeling of nice clean hands. And besides that wiping down your instrument is always a good idea it will help to protect your investment. I guess I just have respect for my equipment as you and most musicians do.

Can't decide if my greatest challenge is absence of natural aptitude or a complete lack of discipline.

Sounds like me right now.

I can functionally play three cords now, but they all sound buzzy. I'm hoping that'll go away the more I practice. My small hand doesn't really want to span frets.

I'd prefer not to get into any bad habits in the first place.

Archived