Gibson Brands Forums

P90 output

portuitalia

I have a 56 Goldtop with the stock P90's and the neck pickup has much more output than the bridge pickup--they don't seem readily adjustable in term of pickup height--anybody know an easy way to even out the output of these--thanks--George//

The pickups have the same output. The string-vibration at the neck-PU is larger causing it to be louder.

Easiest is to make a riser for the bridge-PU with pieces of cardboard, wood or foam. I favour the latter because it acts like a spring, but you can use whatever you have at hand.

Very common. You can lower the neck pickup (and/or raise the bridge pickup) by the two screws on either side

of the two center pole-screws. Also, you should be able to lower or raise, the pole screws on either pickup....if

they're like my Gibson (soapbar) P-90's. Raise or lower the bridge pickup to where you like the volume/tone it

produces. Then, set the selector switch to the middle (both pickup on) position, and raise or lower the neck pickup

until the volume/tone seems "balanced." Ofter times, the bridge pickup will be quite close to the strings (but not

so close as to inhibit their free vibration. The neck pickup will (probably) be much lower...depending, of course,

on the particular pickups and output.

CB

• 2 weeks later...

Archived