Gibson Brands Forums

Alleykat Question

RichardLionhart

Happy Friday Everyone,

I was browsing my local craigslist today to see what was out there. I came across this...

http://asheville.craigslist.org/msg/909359209.html

I have some extra cash on hand and was thinking about getting it. I know... I know... I've not even learned to play my new Epi LP, but this just kinda jumped out at me. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? I see that they retail new on MF for $440. It might be possible to talk the guy down a little.

So... I've got an Alleykat in the crosshairs; should I pull the trigger and buy my very first archtop to add to the collection? Or, am I better off waiting and buying something brand new or getting a better model at a later date... Dot, new Alleykat, Emperor Regent, etc?

Guest alanhindle

I think you ought to hang fire Richard. Buying guitars can get addictive but seeing as you've only just bought your first I think you need to learn to at least get to the point where you are playing recognisable tunes and enjoying it before you venture in to buying anything else. Your Les Paul Standard is more than enough of an outlay for a first instrument. Maybe in 6 months time, if you're still hooked and wanting to explore different sounds that you can get from different types of guitar; and if your playing will enable you to tell the difference, then start to think about buying additional equipment.

My advice is to get down the music shop and ask for advice on a good, easy starter book to suit your needs and the style you want to play. What amp have you got for your Les Paul by the way?

Alan

Hmm... no, I really couldn't look at the guitar in person and see a minor problem or flaw. Good call on that.

I am still VERY happy with my LP and have had two 1 hour lessons thus far. I'm getting one 1 hour lesson per week. I just happened to be able to work an extra in this week to get started.

As for an amp, I am using a Peavey Vypyr 30. To be quite honest, I don't really care for it. I wanted an amp with some effects to play with and something fun to cut my teeth on. The tone is ok, but it can seem awfully muddy on overdrive at times. There are a lot of features on it... too many I would say... that are just throw-aways. Then again, I'm terribly inexperienced and am probably not making full use of everything I have available.

That's another thing. I'm asking the fiance' for a new amp for Christmas. I want something bigger to be able to jam with some friends on occasion. But... that's for another thread.

Thanks for the help and pointing some things out. I tend to put on blinders and have a very one track mind when I have a major interest.

Rich;

As the owner of multiple guitars myself I am of the belief that you can never have too many.

I own an alleykat and wildkat among my 36 guitars.

There are many times that this is the guitar I find myself playing. I usually take this one with me when I play informally with friends. I love the feel and sound of the Mini humbucker. The neck is VERY fast. It is an awsome guitar. if this one looks good, and it does from the pictures, try asking the guy to sell it for $ 300.00. That is a good price for this guitar.

Alleykat's are awsome players.

Archived