Gibson Brands Forums

"Special" Project

Whitmore Willy

O.K. fellow Epiphites. I am shifting into "TWANG" mode. I am going to try my hand at fret leveling on a Special ll and need some "tool" opinions.

1. I am considering making my own notched fret board straight edge. Stew-Mac has one for $72. I will try to make one out of a carpenter's square. I can cut it to legnth and cut the fret notches with a matabo (similar to a hand held side grinder but made specifically for cutting) and finish with some files. Cost $10

2. Has anyone used a fret rocker? For $22 it seems a useful tool and not worth the trouble to make my own.

3. For gauging progress, I will mark the tops of the frets with a water-soluble magic marker.

4. For overall and spot leveling I think I have settled on an 8" sanding block with a 12" radius. I will use 320 grit paper. I believe one or two swipes with a little spot leveling should do the trick. I would love to have an 18" aluminum sanding beam but, for now, I can't justify the $125.

5. Now, here's the rub. (pun intended) As best as I can measure, the frets are:

Aprox. 7/64", .109", or about 2.7mm wide.

Aprox. 3/64", .046", or about 1mm tall.

This puts them in the realm of wide width/ medium height profile at the time of factory dressing. (If that ever took place). Having no experience with re-crowning, or in my case, touch up crowning, I am looking for suggestions. I have looked at the plethora of crowning and shaping files at Stew-Mac. http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Fretting_supplies/Shaping_and_crowning.html

I see most are designed for shaping from the top. A couple are designed for shaping from the side of the fret. Does anyone have any experience with any of these files?

Any and all input on any of the above will be much appreciated. (including: "Willy, you are an idiot." just include a reason.) Worse comes to worst, I screw it up and will have to learn to install new frets.....

If you feel it is necessary, you can tell me your favorite color sand paper.

Archived