Gibson Brands Forums

Best battery-powered tube amp

Rap

Either somewhat expensive, and/or the batteries won' t last but a few minutes, do to the power the tubes require, according to what I could find, by "Googling" Battery Powered Tube Amps.

Roland, makes a really nice little battery/ac amp, that can sound like a tube amp, called a mirco-cube. Several members here, have and love them! So, you might start there?

Fender makes the "Amp Can," too..it can run on batteries, as well.

Pignose makes several, in different power ratings.

CB

Thanks for all your reponses. CB, battery iife is an important consideration. Thanks for reminding me. I should have included that in my criteria. It's probably just as important to me as the sound quality. I guess I need to drop my reguirement for a tube amp- much as I prefer the sound. I'll definitely give a listen to the Roland and the Fender, as well as the Vox and the Crate (what, no polka in overdrive?). If anyone has any more info (including sound quality and battery life), I'd appreciate the input.

Line 6 even has a battery powered amp with a few basic amp models now. Haven't tried it. Many of these amps list the battery life on their website pages, often on the order of 4 to 6 hours on four AA batteries.

The best tube tone, however, comes from real tubes. And if you just gotta have tube tone at any cost, the ZVex Nano should be on the list of things to check out whether you can afford one or not. They're quite loud, and through a somewhat inefficient Jensen P10r, my Nano easily keeps up with my rather loud car stereo while jamming in the front seat with the 1x10 cab behind the back seat. If I'm sitting in back seat playing guitar, the Nano easily overwhelms the car stereo. It's loud! But with a 1Ahr draw, it can also run a 7Ahr kiddie cart gel cell battery dead in about 7 hours. It'll run for weeks off of a boat battery, though. Great for those extended hurricane blackouts.

Gil...

Archived