Gibson Brands Forums

new semi

aharps

So after selling my guitar, im now in a position to buy a new semi hollow epiphone. Ill be upgrading the pups and putting on a bigsby.

Ive been looking at two guitars, Epiphone Sheraton (i had an '86 one before but the fretboard was messed up, loved it otherwise) and Epiphone Dot. What are the differences (apart from cosmetic) between these guitars? Are the sheratons better made? I am looking at buying used (cant afford new) and have been offered a dot for £250. I can pick a sherry up used for probably around £320.

It has to be in ebony though =D>

I don't know pounds from ounces.. so I wont comment on the price thing.

I own a sheraton, so I'm slightly biased.

I like both of these guitars very much.

My sheri is 15 years old. Made in Korea, the new ones being from China.

check the serial number on both the used ones you're looking at and find out here or at epiphone where they were made.

The difference between my sheri and any dot is first seen and felt in the neck. the sheri neck is five piece maple and mahogany.

there is more tendency, as with many gibson 335s, to bend in the dot model than in the sheri.

the sheri neck is also faster and thinner. less rounded.

I absolutely love it.

the sheri is a little harder to work on when changing pots, switch, wiring.. but still doable even by owners.

You can find a used samick.. and the general consensus is the finish is nicer, and the overall craftsmanship was superior.

So I'd try to search those serial numbers and get a Samick if I could.

However, there are chinese made sheris that people are also quite happy with, so don't make it a 'must be' necessarily.

the sheri headstock is larger.. I think that helps the tone.

I believe there was some difference in the number of laminate plys. not sure though.

I just know that the Korean sheri owners are all pretty happy dudes!

TWANG

Archived