Gibson Brands Forums

Oasis on UK channel 4 tonight

Guest alanhindle

I suppose I may watch it to possibly catch one of Noel's Epis.

does he still play Epis? I hope so' date=' because I always associated him with Epiphones, although he has said some rather unflattering things about them of late:

"'Before we became very f-----' wealthy young men, I used to use Epiphone guitars,' Gallagher explains. 'But they're really a poor man's Gibson, which is what I now use. I don't have a deal with them, as I don't go in for that sort of thing. But I did design a guitar for Epiphone once.'" Source: http://edition.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/11/23/day.gallagher/index.html

Still, takes me back to being in my late teens / early 20s in the heyday of Oasis, so I'll try and catch the programme.

Anyone interested in Noel's gear - here is a pretty good article:

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/news/news-story/news_id/2472

[img']http://guitarplayer.wordpress.com/files/2008/06/noel94_lpblack.jpg?w=206[/img]

Indeed, Noel only uses Gibson these days... I caught him on TV a few weeks back playing a 335.

Shame, he used to be a fan of epiphones. But then, I used to be a fan of his, and times change. Ne'er mind eh?

Edit: PS, he never actually "designed" a guitar for epiphone. He put his name to what was in effect a respray, with a change of selector switch position on an established design.

Not exactly inventing the wheel was it Noel?

Indeed' date=' Noel only uses Gibson these days... I caught him on TV a few weeks back playing a 335.

Shame, he used to be a fan of epiphones. But then, I used to be a fan of his, and times change. Ne'er mind eh?

Edit: PS, he never actually "designed" a guitar for epiphone. He put his name to what was in effect a respray, with a change of selector switch position on an established design.

Not exactly inventing the wheel was it Noel? [/quote']

Just how popular are they over there these days? It's funny, they never caught my attention until recently. It's not anything that they did recently (if there is anything), but more of their early stuff that a coworker gave me to listen to.

Actually, I don't know how popular they really got in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I don't recall hearing much of them on the radio.

Just how popular are they over there these days? It's funny' date=' they never caught my attention until recently. It's not anything that they did recently (if there is anything), but more of their early stuff that a coworker gave me to listen to.

Actually, I don't know how popular they really got in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I don't recall hearing much of them on the radio.[/quote']

Just my perception, but I think they are still pretty important - but mainly with my age group (mid-30s) - I'm not sure to what extent they are wholly appreciated by a younger audience, although I think they have been cited as an influence by some young up-and-coming bands (Arctic Monkeys etc.)

In a way, they are unique. The 1990s, without doubt, represented an incredibly exciting time to be young, British and listening to music. But most of Oasis's peers and contemporaries have disbanded (like Suede and Cast); gone on hiatus (Blur); or fallen into relative obscurity (Bluetones, Charlatans.) Radiohead, brilliant though they are, are in their own enormously successful place somewhere away from the centre of the mainstream.

So to answer your question. They were huge in the 1990s. I think they are still pretty big. They are a guilty pleasure I like to listen to from time to time. Grab a copy of Stop the Clocks and you'll see what I mean. I think in time that Definitely Maybe will become one of those "essential" albums though, like Revolver, Blonde on Blonde, Let it Bleed, OK Computer and so on ad infinitum.

Which leaves Oasis, fulfilling the role that the Rolling Stones did in the 1970s, (although unlike the Stones, I would argue that Oasis are still searching for their Exile on Main St.)

show was amazing!!! And yeah they do use epis still, but in hands of Gem. Usually riviera (or so I think). And yeah they still big back here (not only). In 40sec sold out rounhouse show pretty much proves my point (doesn't it) =D>

Anyway, amazing band!

^^ I think Leicester summed it up very well so I won't elaborate on that. They were (or are, depending on view) a very important band in the evolution of British music. In my post above, I probably come across as bitter. I'm not really, I was a big fan in the 90's, but then I was in my 20's in the 90's and as I say, times and tastes change. I'm now 36 and have moved on, and Oasis don't really ring my bell any more, though I could still listen to "What's the story", "Definately maybe" and "Be here now" all day. Awesome stuff. After those albums, they kind of fell away, for me anyway.

To answer the question of Just Strum, I'd say they are still popular... just not to the same level of the 90's hysteria. People will always buy Oasis albums, whatever. I just wish they'd got rid of Liam years ago. Noel is the better vocalist... I watched an MTV unplugged years back where Liam claimed to have a sore throat and so Noel took over for the whole gig. It was fantastic. And Liam just gets on everyone's ****, the man is an idiot. He does the most damage (In my opinion) to this band's image.

I'm 54, but I've always been open to new music. However, it is more difficult to hear these days because of crappy radio, I don't hit the clubs, and most people my age that I associate with (at work and neighbors) aren't on the same page with me.

Two more questions:

1) Who was playing drums for them on TV tonight?

2) Can Oasis claim to be overrate like the Beatles?

Guest alanhindle

Just how popular are they over there these days? It's funny' date=' they never caught my attention until recently. It's not anything that they did recently (if there is anything), but more of their early stuff that a coworker gave me to listen to.

Actually, I don't know how popular they really got in the Cleveland, Ohio area. I don't recall hearing much of them on the radio.[/quote']

They apparently played their part in a revival of 'real music' in early 90s UK which became known as Britpop. I don't think any of these bands (other names were mentioned above) broke America so I wouldn't be surprised if any of our transatlantic cousins were particularly familiar with them. The band from that era which broke the US was the Spice Girls. For that, as a British subject, I can only apologise to you all.

I know from this forum that many of you are Beatles fans and Oasis claim they are massively influenced by them. As such, you may find you like them- if you can get past their massive egos.

I'm not a fan by the way. I'm more of a heavy rocker. I was just letting people who are know about the TV programme.

By the way Just Strum, did you get access to the Channel 4 catch up as per my link above? Last time I mentioned another music programme, that time on the BBC iPlayer website, only people from the UK could access it on the web.

The band from that era which broke the US was the Spice Girls. For that' date=' as a British subject, I can only apologise to you all.[/quote']

Well, for the record I've been waiting a number of years for that apology.

I know from this forum that many of you are Beatles fans and Oasis claim they are massively influenced by them. As such, you may find you like them- if you can get past their massive egos.

That's how I initially became aware of them when they first hit the States. It was "you should hear this band, they are a lot like the Beatles"

By the way Just Strum, did you get access to the Channel 4 catch up as per my link above? Last time I mentioned another music programme, that time on the BBC iPlayer website, only people from the UK could access it on the web.

No, I didn't have access and didn't attempt the web. It might show up here on PBS (Public Broadcasting System), I'll have to keep an eye on the listings.

What is the big thing going on over there these days? Please don't say Spice Girls reunion.

No' date=' I didn't have access and didn't attempt the web. It might show up here on PBS (Public Broadcasting System), I'll have to keep an eye on the listings.

What is the big thing going on over there these days? Please don't say Spice Girls reunion.[/quote']

To steal someone else's line..."Oasis- The band Badfinger might have become."

I don't knock The Spice Girls. My daughter bought me tickets for their show in the summer of 1998 for my birthday as a kind of joke (A joke at a hundred and thirty bucks a pop?) and I went with an open mind and I admit I was impressed with them from a production and promotion aspect on their records and they put on a hell of a show live. I also admit harboring a crush on Geri Halliwell and was devastated when she wasn't with them at the show having left the group...but I survived.

"it's not like the end of the world or anything. It's just a pop group. You have all their records so you can sit and reminisce" -Geri Halliwell 1998... oh, wait...maybe that was someone else...

Nelson

Guest alanhindle

To steal someone else's line..."Oasis- The band Badfinger might have become."

I don't knock The Spice Girls. My daughter bought me tickets for their show in the summer of 1998 for my birthday as a kind of joke (A joke at a hundred and thirty bucks a pop?) and I went with an open mind and I admit I was impressed with them from a production and promotion aspect on their records and they put on a hell of a show live. I also admit harboring a crush on Geri Halliwell and was devastated when she wasn't with them at the show having left the group...but I survived.

"it's not like the end of the world or anything. It's just a pop group. You have all their records so you can sit and reminisce" -Geri Halliwell 1998... oh' date=' wait...maybe that was someone else...

Nelson[/quote']

You're right Nelson. We shouldn't really knock the Spice Girls. In their defence, they released a number of very catchy pop songs and Sporty Spice, I would say, is actually a talented singer. Brian Adams realised this and teamed up with her for a duet.

Disturbingly, I am able to see similarities between the Spice Girls and my favorite group Kiss. Both acts created a persona which probably had more to do with their success than the music did. In the case of Kiss, all the old songs have stood the test of time and are, when you think of it, very catchy numbers too.

The thing I do have against the Spice Girls is that they essentially a manufactured band - brought together by their manager. Their songs were not penned by themselves and they dont play instruments. The wife loves them though!

I really, really apologise for bringing the Spice Girls in to this forum. What next- Madonna's Les Pauls?

You have Spice Girls and we have Back Street Boys as our manufactured group. Can't knock any of them, just not my... well, cup of tea. However, I don't like KISS either - to me that is another one of our embarrassments, but they sold a lot of records, sold out a lot of concerts, and made ton of money - so a lot of people like or liked them.

Now where can I get me one of those Madonna LP's. She has drooping boobs now, they would get caught in the strings.

Guest alanhindle
show was amazing!!! And yeah they do use epis still' date=' but in hands of Gem. Usually riviera (or so I think). And yeah they still big back here (not only). In 40sec sold out rounhouse show pretty much proves my point (doesn't it) :)

Anyway, amazing band![/quote']

Yes, I note the Epis at 42mins 30 secs and 45mins 39 secs used by the other guitarist.

http://www.channel4.com/video/brandless-catchup.jsp?vodBrand=4music-oasis-standing-on-the

Archived