Gibson Brands Forums

Question about something I've Never seen before.......

Biff Velvet

Hey everyone,

It's been a long time since I've posted, but in the summer, I got a white gibson explorer.

Anyways, I was playing along the other day on it, and in a certain light I was able to see some weird wax like coverings on the binding (along the side of the fretboard).

Anyways, these 'waxy flakes' are found on the dot markers...and on the sides of the actual frets themselves. Some frets have them more than others, and from sliding up and down the neck I was able to peel some of this wax off.

The other side of the binding....the side players never see, doesnt have any of these wax fill-ins and the sides of the frets are just kinda bear.

I don't own a camera, so I wouldnt be able to put up pics, but just out of curiosity...is this normal? Or am I a victim of poor craftsmanship? Or does anyone even know what I'm talking about!? LOL.

Regardless...I am enjoying the guitar!

(Strangely enough I still play my Epiphone Les Paul Custom just as much as I used to....if not more:-" )

Thanks!

! Makes sense...I am apt to polish it because of the sticky sensation I get on the back of the neck after playing for a while (over a week or so...).

Thanks alot guys lol, for a while there I thought I might have had one of the infamous 'lemons'.

Anyways, keep this forum alive guys....I lurk all the time, I'm just the quiet type!

! Makes sense...I am apt to polish it because of the sticky sensation I get on the back of the neck after playing for a while (over a week or so...).

Thanks alot guys lol' date=' for a while there I thought I might have had one of the infamous 'lemons'.

[b']Anyways, keep this forum alive guys....I lurk all the time, I'm just the quiet type![/b]

Well, that may not be a bad way/place to be, right now...given some of the "fireworks" here, lately.

LOL!

CB

Archived