Gibson Brands Forums

Basement storage and display

luvastogie

Hey everyone, It's good to be back after about 4 months of very limited access. But now the new house is going strong and I can get things back to normal. Now for my question. My father-in-law once told me never to keep my guitars in the basement. Now, considering his age, I'm sure he meant some dark, dank hole in the ground subject to moisture and major temperature fluctuations. What are the findings out there on storing and displaying guitars in finished basements that are regulated with heating and air conditioning and de-humidifiers? Any possible harm coming their way other than me not securing the wall hangers properly (which ain't happening)? Thanks.

The main concern with wall hangers is if the walls themselves are subject to extreme

changes in temperature. The proximity of the guitar to such walls is the gist of the subject.

You also mentioned dehumidification - low humidity can be a problem, especially for solid-top

acoustics.

Edit: I would think that basement walls would be less of a problem than outside walls

because ground temps won't get as cold as outside temps, assuming the

basement is below-grade. Ground temps usually bottom out in the 50's.

Agreed, you won't have a problem. Your old man was referring to the basements of his youth, damp, dingy, dark places which would play havoc with (especially) acoustic guitars and make them turn funny shapes!

Any normally heated and ventilated room in a modern building is fine for storing your guitars.

Just don't forget that they are down there!

Archived