Gibson Brands Forums

Serial number is "USED" ?

waynereed

UPDATE: heal plate has the following . . .

Hand crafted in Korea

by Epiphone

The Epiphone Company

Nashville, Tennessee USA

0 17246

~

Note: The "0" is stamped into a slightly etched rectangle. The 17246 is on a white sticker.

~

I have a pristine Firebird. The head stock has a gold painted Gibson logo.

The heal plate on the back says Made by The Epiphone Company of Tennessee, made in Korea.

On the back of the headstock is stamped "USED". No other markings or numbers.

I'm trying to find out at least approximately when it was made. And approximately what it's worth.

I did a lot of Net searching. This does not look like the cheapie Firebirds selling on ebay for $400.

It's a rich looking sunburst. Gold hardware. Looks and sounds great. Plays great as well. Heavy as Hell! LOL

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Wayne Reed thenettrainer@yahoo.com

UPDATE: heal plate has the following . . .

Hand crafted in Korea

by Epiphone

The Epiphone Company

Nashville' date=' Tennessee USA

0 17246

~

Note: The "0" is stamped into a slightly etched rectangle. The 17246 is on a white sticker.

~

I have a pristine Firebird. The head stock has a gold painted Gibson logo.

The heal plate on the back says Made by The Epiphone Company of Tennessee, made in Korea.

On the back of the headstock is stamped "USED". No other markings or numbers.

I'm trying to find out at least approximately when it was made. And approximately what it's worth.

I did a lot of Net searching. This does not look like the cheapie Firebirds selling on ebay for $400.

It's a rich looking sunburst. Gold hardware. Looks and sounds great. Plays great as well. Heavy as Hell! LOL

Any ideas or comments would be much appreciated!

Thanks, Wayne Reed thenettrainer@yahoo.com [/quote']

You won't get very far with a stamped "Used" number. The "0" more than likely,

obliterates the year of production. The white label is just an asset disposal number.

If it doesn't have an intact serial number anywhere..then just enjoy it..that's the

price one pays for buying a stamped "Used"..it's still a good guitar..just not traceable.

Hello;

There is little to no value of an Epiphone that is stamped used. This is a "B-stock" guitar. That means that at somepoint the guitar was either:

Sold and returned,

Damaged and repaired,

or was a factory 2nd (Meaning that there was a blemish, rough spot, color imperfection) from the factory.)

A collector would not purchase this instrument because of the "Used" stamp. I know because I am a collector of Epi's and I would not pay too much for it.

With that said, You could sell it to someone that needs a "Working" guitar. I'm sure that if there was an imperfection in the guitar, it is barly noticiable. Also, these "Used" guitars almost always play great. They have been review and repaired, if necessary.

Can we see pictures of this guitar? If you are interested in selling it, I may know someone who may be intyerested. They have been looking for a Firebird.

... This is a "B-stock" guitar....

Small correction for clarity: The term "B-stock", as used by many of the major online

stores, and specifically regarding Epiphone guitars, indicates a factory 2nd ("2nd" is

stamped on the back of the headstock) which is an authorized and fully-warranted

item that may have a cosmetic blemish or have been a dealer return but (allegedly ) has no

playability issues. The "used" ones, as sold on eBay, are "true" factory rejects, and not

under warranty, although they may be quite good, from what I've seen on the forums.

• 12 years later...