Gibson Brands Forums

Distortion pedal question

ksuwins

Well for one thing, you can play at lower levels and still get rocking distortion. Also, depending on the type of pedal you'll get different sounding distortion types. Just more versatility really. No, you shouldn't need a noise gate having just one or two pedals.

Well for one thing' date=' you can play at lower levels and still get rocking distortion.[/quote']

Yeah, this is the answer for me. I have a big amp and to break it up, you have to push it at higher volumes. So I just bought an overdrive/distortion pedal and it kicks the overdrive in at practice volume levels.

Noise suppresor? There is a bit of buzz when you kick in most pedals. Most can simply erase the buzz just by moving your body a certain way in realtion to the amp.

Thanks beatle and ef. I figured that was the deal, but I wanted to hear it from someone who knew for sure. I'm on a $200 Christmas budget from wifey, so I'm thinking Boss SD-1 plus a Boss Chorus. That should change things up a bit.

Thanks again.

About the chorus pedal' date=' ....You might think about getting a delay pedal instead. [/quote']

ef is right. I am lucky to have chorus built into my amp, but I only use it now and then. A delay pedal is a far more useful tool for getting fantastic sounds. Delay pedals can take you from U2 to 50s rock-a-billy sounds (and a million other places) in a second. Great pedal and a must for any guitarist.

Thanks, Beatlenut. Given the higher cost of the delay pedal, I have a decision to make. Maybe I should skip both the overdrive and chorus and go straight to the delay. Hell, I don't know. If I get time, I need to run over to the guitar store and try them all out. I would like to avoid a bunch of pedal noise and I don't want to get a suppression device right now. I'm no professional. I just play to have fun, which means I don't dedicate a lot of $$ to it.

I'm no professional. I just play to have fun' date=' which means I don't dedicate a lot of $$ to it.[/quote']

Same here. But sometimes even fun means you have to shell out some money.

I am not a pedal guy at all. I have just three essential pedals:

- delay

- EQ pedal

- overdrive/distortion

I really feel that is all you need. My amps and my guitars get the sound. If I want to get closer to something else, I click on one or two of those three pedals.

There are some music stores that have all the pedals set up together and all you do is play the guitar next to them and click on the pedals you want to try out. That worked for me. I saw what a good EQ pedal can do and also what sounds an overdrive/distortion pedal was capable of. Then I made my purchases. I've had my delay pedal since the day I got my first guitar. That pedal is really the best....and delay pedals are better now then when I bought mine 15 years ago.

Ok...and you don't need a noise filter when you run all three?

Heading over to the guitar shop over lunch break. I'll report back if I discover anything interesting. GuitarCenter in Denver...that's all I've got. Hit or miss with the help in there. But they know more than me.

Ok...and you don't need a noise filter when you run all three?

No, as I said you get some buzz when you click ON the overdrive pedal (and that is only with some guitars and when certain pickups are selected), but I move my body around and the buzz lessens to sometimes zero. The pedals play clean. The more you turn up the treble on these pedals you will hear a bit more buzz, but no pedal or amp or guitar is 100% silent.

I'm a total pedal freak, I absolutely adore them and they really are a hell of a lot of fun. BeatleNut and ef have the right idea, however it depends on what kind of fun you like to have. If you play a lot of clean stuff a chorus is a great tool, however a delay is a must for any style and any sound...you can do some amazing things with one. I suggest you get a Distortion, a Delay and an Ebow.... you can make your guitar sound like a violin, theremin, Cello, Trombone and many more with these three effects, however you'd probably have to break your Xmas budget to afford them. It really does depend on what you like to play. You might not need any of them.

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with a Boss SD-1 Overdrive, Boss DD-3 Delay, and a Johnny Hiland Chicken Pickin' DVD - yeehaw. Forgot to get patch cables though, dammit.

I'll think I'll be happy that I went with a delay instead of the chorus...thanks again.

One more question- is there any particular order that I should plug these in? Like amp>wah>delay>overdrive?

Thanks for the input guys. I ended up going with a Boss SD-1 Overdrive' date=' Boss DD-3 Delay, and a Johnny Hiland Chicken Pickin' DVD - yeehaw. Forgot to get patch cables though, dammit.

I'll think I'll be happy that I went with a delay instead of the chorus...thanks again.

One more question- is there any particular order that I should plug these in? Like amp>wah>delay>overdrive?[/quote']

I think you'll be happier with the delay too dude, congratulations on your new pedals, I'm certain you will have hours of fun with them, like I do with mine. The 'usual way' of plugging in pedals is Guitar>Wah>O.D.>Delay>Amp. However you can get some unique and colourful tones by connecting them in the 'wrong' way if there is such a thing. Try them in different orders, your ears will tell you whts best for you.

I recently bought a Boss bd-2 Blues Driver and then sent it to Keeley Electronics for their Phat Mod. Should be there when I get home. The basic BD-2 sounds good but with the mods done to it it should really sound great. It's my first pedal as well, but I asked the wife for a Vox wah that I can have modded too. We'll see if that's in the budget. Never really messed with a delay pedal, guess I'll try one out next week.

I recently bought a Boss bd-2 Blues Driver and then sent it to Keeley Electronics for their Phat Mod.

Owned a TS-9 and a couple others but I'm not a big pedal addict

Then about two years ago I played a friend's Keeley's BD-2 w/phat. Switched immediately and later added the Keeley compressor. Couldn't be happier. With my LP' date=' VJr. V3 (stock), and custom 2x12 cabs those two pedals crank out a wide range of electric blues tones from Boom, Boom to Jesus Just Left Chicago to When the Levee Breaks.

Anyone not familiar with Keeley's gear but who's looking for a blues type distortion pedal (like a Tube Screamer) should at least check out the sound clips at this link: http://www.robertkeeley.com/

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived