Gibson Brands Forums

g string won't tune

Donald77

Hello

I bought a second hand Epiphone lp standard yesterday. Today i discovered that it is impossible to hold

the tone off the g-string, even after it is tuned the second before. My guess is that there is something

wrong with the key ore at the tailpace.

Does anyone have experience with this?

greetings

Ron

from nut to tuning peg. sometimes the string binds in the slot.. even wound ones..

so put some pencil lead in the g string slot. no. 2 pencil well sharpened.. rub the sharp tip in the slot, lift the string into the slot, retune.

or hanging up at the bridge saddle.. that is less likely, but try this

tune the string.. press the string down a bit between nut and tuner..

check tuning.

bend string a step or so..

check tuning.

repeat process only this time press down on the string between tailpiece and bridge..

so it would be

tune string

press between tail and bridge..

check tuning

bend string

check tuning...

this process shows you if and how much each of these places make the string go off tune..

that is.. you don't quite get even tension from tuning peg to tailpiece..

another thing is this: too many windings on the string.. so that as you tune it up, it stretches to the peg.. but as you play, it stretches the string around those windings..

or: string not looped around peg, then wrapped underneath the first winding.. which locks the string to the peg better, and doesn't let it

slip.

another thing, not stretching the string after you put it on and tune it.

tune string

pull up slightly at the lowest fret

pull up slightly at the 8th fret or so..

retune.

repeat.

retune.

when you follow all of this, she'll tune up.

TWANG

One thing to add to my friend TWANG's sage advice: if you still suspect a bad tuning machine, swap

the G tuner with the B or E tuner, which would take maybe 10 minutes. If the G tuning problem

continues, it's quite probably not the machine.

Also - I always say this but it's because I experience it myself - the G will often sound "sour" because in the guitar tuning scale it's often either the highest principal note of a chord or the lowest. The compromises in the equal-temper scale show up the most on the G. Some people find that switching to a round-wound G slightly alters these compromises and makes it sound better.

One thing to add to my friend TWANG's sage advice: if you still suspect a bad tuning machine' date=' swap

the G tuner with the B or E tuner, which would take maybe 10 minutes. If the G tuning problem

continues, it's quite probably not the machine.[/quote']Folks many times like to blame a machine head, but in my expirence it's the rarest cause of tuning issues.

Usually bad stringing on the posts followed closely by a bad nut slot and finally a bad saddle. Occasionally a shifting bridge but that's not very often.

Archived