Gibson Brands Forums

so this is wat happened.....

rocko

went down town to a guitar shop.It had 3 tokias and 2 epiphones les pauls.All the tokias were 07 made in china,1 of the epiphones was ee 06 the other one was a left handed U serial number 04.In short, the tokias were complete rubbish, fret wire sharp, frets pitted ,light as a feather,felt like a real cheap copy they were selling @ £299.The ee serial eppi was bit better although the last fret was crooked and the nut was cut by a blind man...(no offence to the blind), selling @ £385 .The u serial number eppi was well finished, nice weight,frets good,nice clean dark board,and had a nice ring of it although i cant play left handed, selling @ £410 it was the best of the lot of them by far....so i left the shop with nothing........still havent got me an epiphone les paul...can someone plaese help.......

Let me get this right: You CAN'T play left handed? (I.E You're a standard right handed player).

And you can't find a Epi LP in the UK?

I walked into my tiny local music shop last week and he has about 10 to choose from.

Where on Earth are you that you can't find an LP?

If you are really remote, I echo what him above said. Get on ebay, there is a plus top beauty on there for 250 quid... I just looked.

If you guys in England have a service like Craigslist, then you can find people in your area and you can buy a guitar face-to-face. I prefer to try a guitar before I buy. On Ebay, you could get one of those Gibson lemons that got by their quality checks and you may not have any recourse. Also, if you check closely on guitars sold on Ebay, you will see quite a few that are damaged and they tell you that they were destroyed by the the delivery service chosen on a previous Ebay sale.

I got my Epi LP from Craigslist, I met the seller, tried out the guitar, it looked better than the picture he advertised, so I bought it. We negotiated the price down and he threw in a free Peavey amp that I am still using.

For something with spotty quality I'd steer away from E Bay for buying a low price import. You need to be able to play and inspect the guitar before you buy it. Keep looking. Years back there were some pretty killer Tokai's, not sure if they make any good ones anymore or if they are all cheap crap now. Look into a Samick Greg Bennett AV6. They are ok for the price..

http://gregbennettguitars.com/av6ltd.html

I probably wasn't clear enough with my post....

When I advocated buying from ebay, I wasn't meaning buy a guitar you've never seen from a seller who is thousands of miles away. I was thinking more along the lines of how my last guitar purchase went. I met the seller in person and had a good look at it before I handed over the cash.

It's usually fairly easy to find something like a Les Paul on ebay that is within reasonable travelling distance, unless you live somewhere really remote. Most countries these days have their own local ebay site.

For something with spotty quality I'd steer away from E Bay for buying a low price import. You need to be able to play and inspect the guitar before you buy it. Keep looking. Years back there were some pretty killer Tokai's' date=' not sure if they make any good ones anymore or if they are all cheap crap now. Look into a Samick Greg Bennett AV6. They are ok for the price..

http://gregbennettguitars.com/av6ltd.html[/quote']

I can vouch for the Avions, I have one and it's spectacular. Probably a bit more solid than my Epi Paul. Well worth looking into at least, if the odd shape difference of the body doesn't bother you. Other than that one little cosmetic difference, it's a Les Paul through and through.

I wasn't meaning buy a guitar you've never seen from a seller who is thousands of miles away.

I was. You just have to be smart and careful who you buy from. If you buy from someone who sells a lot of guitars, has good feedback, can post up some decent photos, can write a description like they have a half-an-education, the chances of getting burned are very very small. And there are tons of those type sellers on Ebay. I've bought 5 or 6 this way and they've all been good transactions. =D>

If you guys in England have a service like Craigslist' date=' then you can find people in your area and you can buy a guitar face-to-face. I prefer to try a guitar before I buy....

I got my Epi LP from Craigslist, I met the seller, tried out the guitar, it looked better than the picture he advertised, so I bought it. We negotiated the price down and he threw in a free Peavey amp that I am still using.[/quote']

I'll second the craiglist option.

My burst LP+ was a craigslist find.

Price was about 60% off retail.

As a bonus, seller was less than 5 miles from my house. =D>

Archived