Gibson Brands Forums

"Dee Adario" strings.... Italian / American lesson?

Mugatu

Nardiccione or something like that. I haven't seen the spelling since I was a child. Mother's maiden name was equally Italian' date=' but I guess it's not appropriate to post that in a public forum, so many card companies ask for that name to verify my account.

Father's family was from Abruzzi but moved to Ostia Lido and mother's family was from Amalfi.

When I was young, we lived in a very Italian neighborhood in New York. All the old-timers spoke Italian to each other. My parents only spoke Italian when they didn't want us to understand what they were saying. They didn't teach us Italian because they wanted us to be Americans, not Italians.

It's too bad they didn't teach us Italian, as I am now struggling with Spanish and not doing very well at it (I can play Musica Latina authentically though).

Notes

[/quote']

Cool! And, Amalfi is wonderful! Lovely city...though, it's been years, since I was there. There were some

beautiful women, there...probably still are! ;>)

CB

"Dee-ah-DARIO (thats it); But if it's pronounced like l'umo (the man) it would be "Da-Dario" I think. My Dads is Austrian/French and my mums from Rome. I am very rustic when I speak Italian but have no problem understanding it. I would ask my mum and Dad how it is pronounced but both died in 2004.

But if it's pronounced like l'umo (the man) it would be "Da-Dario" I think. My Dad is Austrian/French and my mum is from Rome. I am very rustic when I speak Italian but have no problem understanding it. I would ask my mum and Dad how it is pronounced but both died in 2004.

Dee ah dario, but I usually just grab two and get the second one half price, throw them on the counter and hand them my debit card...no pronounciation needed.

Right now, I'm playing a set of Ernie Balls that were thrown in when I bought the Christmas Tele (another thread).

I've also used some no name strings that a local dealer buys from a factory down the street from the Dee factory. He inserts a paper with his store name on it and sells them alongside the Dees. Supposedly, the guy down the street from D'Addario uses the same machines and produces for Dee when they are behind on production. I get 4 sets for $10 and they sound just like the Dees.

Actually, it probably should be pronounced the way the D'Addario family wants it. I would have thought that the second "A" would have an "ah" sound but if they want it as in dairy so be it.

Reminds me of pronouncing Randy Bachman's last name. The proper pronunciation is Back-man. But he got so tired of correcting people that he finally announced, "OK, its the Bachman (pronounced Bach-man) Turner Overdrive but the Bachman (pronounced Back-man) brothers are in it!"

Archived