Gibson Brands Forums

What with a nut?

KingYosef

You don't have to change the nut, you just have to make the nut slots wider.

All I'd do is first mount the flatwounds and see if they stick in the slots or are otherwise too big.

Then increase the slot width.

TWANG

WELCOME to the Epi forum KingYosef!

TWANG is right.

Carefully file the nut slots ONLY to widen them (do not add depth).

Now here's a low-budget nut file tip that works for anyone changing to heavy guage or flatwound strings:

You can make your own nut file(s) by clipping a piece off of the end of your new strings E-A-D-&G if wound.

Use a small, flat wood piece approx. 5cm x 2cm (2in. x 1/2). Staple the E string piece (straight/taunt) onto the wood. A heavy duty construction type stapler works best. Elevate the guitar on a firm surface with the nut close to eye level so that you can clearly see what you are doing. Use your new E file to carefully widen the E slot. Do the same for each of the other strings slots making new files for each size with your A-D-G pieces.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

You don't have to change the nut' date=' you just have to make the nut slots wider.

All I'd do is first mount the flatwounds and see if they stick in the slots or are otherwise too big.

Then increase the slot width.

TWANG[/quote']

Would you use a sharp razor blade to cut out if needed? I assume that they should fit in tight, but if I modify the nut can the strings be in too tight? or is that better?

Thanks for the input.

I also heard that many people who buy the epi es-175 change out the tuners, does anyone here have an epi es-175, and did you change out anything?

Would you use a sharp razor blade to cut out if needed?

No. That's asking for trouble -- too irregular/notched/botched.

I assume that they should fit in tight' date=' but if I modify the nut can the strings be in too tight? or is that better?[/quote']

No. The strings should glide easily through w/o binding but no wider. Check your new string guage first by placing each into their proper nut slot. Your nut may be fine as is (depends). Also' date=' take careful note of how your current strings are within the the nut slots. Chances are they are very close to right-on (maybe a little tight on a new instrument).

...does anyone here have an epi es-175' date=' and did you change out anything?[/quote']

Yes there are a few (Dave is one I think and maybe Jeffrey Smith). I had considered them at one time but the size did not suit me. Nice looking guitars.

Hit every BLUE NOTE baaaby..., I'm going to play on:-"

Archived