Gibson Brands Forums

Valve Junior Broken?

Hey Guys, I would really appreciate your help on this.

Right, I have an Epi Valve Junior combo, and recently I purchased a Boss OS2 (Overdrive/ Distortion pedal) and Danelectro EQ pedal to use with it.

Now both the pedals have taken badly, the EQ makes high pitch screams and then horrible bassy noises; too put it short it sounds like its having a fit.

The Boss Pedal sounds very blurred, and not like a OD pedal should.

Now I looked inside the amp at the tubes, and only one is lighting up orange, and the other is not.

Does this mean that one of the tubes is broken and that would be the reason for the pedals sounding awful?

I dont know if its any help, but it is the right tube that is not working.

Thanks in advance, any help thoroughly appreciated.

#-o

If the amp sounds fine on its own, it's obviously not the amp, the guitar, or the guitar cable, so you've eliminated those as possible culprit. Now, plug ONE pedal in and see what it does. When you've got a problem, you have to diagnose it in a logical manner. If it's working fine without pedals, but makes odd noises with the pedals, you have to assume that it's one of those pedals. Try each, one at a time, leaving the other completely out of the signal chain altogether while the other is being tested.

Be logical and methodical in your diagnostics. Be one with the electron. And, don't assume that just because a particular cable worked once, it's all good. 90% of the time, problems such as this are traced to a flaky ground on one of the cables.

Archived