Gibson Brands Forums

A little help determining if this g-400 is fake please!

Awesome Possum

Hey all,

First time poster here, but Ive browsed the forums quite often over the last little while. I have a White Epiphone Les Paul Custom and am looking for a second guitar.

I came across this g-400 for sale, but the first thing I noticed was that it lacks a serial number on the back of the headstock. I emailed the guy about it - asking if he has the origional reciept. He replied that he didnt.

I do like the g-400, and it is one of the guitars on my list, but Im quite weary about this one...

Mabye you guys can give me a hand determining if its legit/not?

http://ottawa.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell-musical-instruments-Epiphone-SG-G-400-W0QQAdIdZ96302853

Thanks,

Derek

Haha thank, Im not sure why but when I go directly to the site (kijiji) it brings it up in a resolution where it is totally blurred and I cant see it at all (I cant even distinguish the yellow writing from the headstock).

I can see it clearly in the picture that you reposted though...strange.

Thanks again,

Derek

Haha thank' date=' Im not sure why but when I go directly to the site (kijiji) it brings it up in a resolution where it is totally blurred and I cant see it at all (I cant even distinguish the yellow writing from the headstock).

I can see it clearly in the picture that you reposted though...strange.

Thanks again,

Derek[/quote']

I fixed the pic up a bit.

I'm not sure it's a fake, but I would stay away from it.

The pic of the Epi logo is completely out of focus, almost like it was done on purpose.

No serial number.

The tuners do not look lined up correctly. The tuner for the D string is really messed up. The knob looks like it is almost hitting the headstock.

These things, along with the fact that you can pay 100 bucks more and get a brand new one, would have me not taking a second look at this one.

But that's me.

I'm not sure it's a fake' date=' but I would stay away from it.

The pic of the Epi logo is completely out of focus, almost like it was done on purpose.

No serial number.

The tuners do not look lined up correctly. The tuner for the D string is really messed up. The knob looks like it is almost hitting the headstock.

These things, along with the fact that you can pay 100 bucks more and get a brand new one, would have me not taking a second look at this one.

But that's me.[/quote']

Admit that the out-of-focus pics don't help any, but as far as I can see it looks like a nice G-400. If it's as good as it looks, I'd gladly save the $100.

Looking at the (albeit blurry) pics, and comparing it to my G-400, it looks legit.

The tuner for my G string is crooked, similar to the D tuner in the photo. The set screws for the tuners loosen up/start strip out, which seems to be a common problem with the 400's. Trying to tighten them too much can only lead to striping out the wood completely, creating a bigger problem. There might be some movement in the tuner, but under tension it's usually fine, and the knob shouldn't hit the headstock. If it's really a concern you could probably put in longer screws, but I haven't bothered (yet).

If you can get the serial number and/or some clearer photos that would help.

Matt

Just like on our Epiphone Les Paul, the volume knobs and the tone knobs, on a G400 are always parallel and the volume knobs are straight to the lower screw of the pick guard.. When you draw a straight line form those knobs it should pass just above the pick up switch and straight to the screw.. that's one way to see if it's authentic..that pic though doesn't show much..

Archived