Gibson Brands Forums

VJ3 Voicing?

scott58

Is the VJ version 3 voiced similar to an AC 30? The reason i ask is that I use alot of amp modeling

with my VJ and i get dramatic changes with about everything else except the AC 30 model. There

are some slight changes, but it seems more like a volume boost. Never played through an ac 30

so i don't know.

Is the VJ version 3 voiced similar to an AC 30? The reason i ask is that I use alot of amp modeling

with my VJ and i get dramatic changes with about everything else except the AC 30 model. There

are some slight changes' date=' but it seems more like a volume boost. Never played through an ac 30

so i don't know.[/quote']

Hi scott58, the answer is yes and no....or more to the point no and yes! An ac 30 has a much brighter top end than a stock valve jr but since they both use el-84 output tubes there are some similarities in the tone due to the chimey sounds of an el-84. One of the popular mods for a valve jr replaces one of the coupling capacitors for a more voxy sound but many people myself included feel it can get quite thin sounding with the recommended value of .0022uf. For an interesting read and probably more tech info than you ever wanted go to sewatt.com and search for the voxy mod. It also may simply be that the ac-30 model that you are using has the least tone shaping going on of all of the models.

Thanks, unfortunately I haven't had the opportunity to play through most of the amps I can model

so i never know if they are close to the actual thing. They sound great so I guess i don't care, but

i was very curious about this one because of the minor change.

Archived