Gibson Brands Forums

Black Beauty

absinthe

Ok so I have a Epi Black Beauty with a Bigsby style trem on it. The guitar is picture perfect, heavey, but great looking. I got it off ebay for $230 dollars shipped. Not bad right! Well the bridge and middle humbuckers sounds like garbage. The bridge pick up is thin and sounds like an ice pick. The middle is flat and dead sounding. The neck pick up is a little muddy but still usable. I'm looking to swap all three pick ups out. I was wondering if anybody has any recommendations. I know it will be tricky with three pick ups and trying to get the right ones together so they don't hum constantly. I'm trying to avoid active pick ups because I have a Schecter C1 Classic loaded with some SD Livewire Dave Mustaines. I just want something a little different. I was thinking a set of Duncan Phat cats for the bridge and neck but what do I put in the middle? Anybody hear anything good about the Lace Alumitones? Any other suggestions are welcome. I play all styles of music. I run a Peavey Valveking and a Peavey Classic 50 with greenbacks.

top right of the page is a "search" link, we just had several good posts in last month or so on this very subject. In short, I'm putting a Seymour Duncan Jazz and Jeff Beck combo for neck and bridge and a P-rail for the middle. Down the road it will have 6 way switching....

An Epiphone Black Beauty ... $230 ... super crappy electronics ... from Ebay ... ummm ....

yup....my spider sense is tingling.. how about some pics absinthe.. take some close ups of your head stocks front and back and the full body front part...sounds too bloody good to be true..if it is then whoa !! you've got your self a great bargain..

I'm actually unable to take pics right at this moments but I can however give you the serial number off the top of the neck. U97122476. I'll post a pic later tonight. Old girl is the only one with a camera phone and she isn't here. When she gets back I'll paste one up.

Archived