Gibson Brands Forums

Got a sheraton and an epi SG - which do i put my p-94 in?

chewy1281734128

As the subject states, ive got an sheraton (natural) and an sg, standard i think.

Im in a band playing indie rock type stuff - kings of leon, stone roses etc.

the sheraton is my main guitar, i dont play my sg much anymore so i was thinking about customising it with a more twangy pup, as both guitars sound quite similar. i chose the p-94 (in the neck position)

I bought a p-94 (neck pup) for my SG but now im thinking i might as well shove it in my sheraton as i never use the neck pick up in that as its pretty dull.

ALSO - im thinking about changing my bridge pup in my sherry as well (again, it seems a tad dull sounding), still sticking with the humbucker, but something brighter than the stock one that came with it. im thinking a gibson '57?

SO -

1. p-94 in the sheratron - yay or nay?

2. would a '57 in bridge work with a 'p-94 in the neck?

I never usually play with the switch inbetween neck and bridge.

i want the option of a twangier, early john squire sound, but then switch it to a rockier sound in the neck position.

cheers.

I have a sheri with two p90s in it.

and an lp with a p90 in the neck.

Now.. I love the p90.. it's my new girlfriend, no doubt about it. And I like it very much in either position.

BUT

I have to say that the neck position has some extra juice as far as I'm concerned, because it boosts the highs,

stays well balanced throughout the range, and cleans up the lows so fine.

that's why I put it in the neck position of the lp, with humbuck in the bridge.

I really hate that I couldn't come to terms with WD, because they are the sole distributors of kent armstrong pickups.

And one of the reasons for that disappointment is the Vintage model humbuck with 12 poles.

It's really the bees knees in the bridge position of the lp. And I'd recommend that puppy for a sheraton bridge spot anytime.

It's a vintage output, alnico magnet pickup. It has 12 pole pieces and you can really get the full signal and balance in that position out of it.

And wonder of wonders, I, too, typically was an either or pickup selector. But now I find myself using that mid position on both guitars all the time.

i believe a gibson 57 in the bridge would also be a very good choice.

TWANG

would it work in the bridge with a p94 in the neck?

now i might consider putting 2 p94s in my sheraton, and 2 '57s in my epi...

that'd be a twangier sheraton, and keep my sg for rock.

ah choices choices.

also considering putting a bigsby on both, but thats a different story.

cheers!

I just laid a bigs b700 on mine.. to show a customer pics of how it would all work. and it fit perfectly. better than on my

lp!

b70 on the lp is the same.. b700 was in black.

I tried a few sets of buckers in the epi.. tried the p90s on a hunch, and they are staying.

I get lots of twang. for sure. but the neat thing to me, is blues. classic and hard rock.. they're all there.

just an amp tweak here or there does the job and I feel like I'm getting all the tones I want out of it from either pup.

Sure, the p90s are tad noisier..

and I gotta turn off the tv when I hit the neck pup on the lp.. but what's that doin on anyway?

TWANG

Archived