Gibson Brands Forums

Any Emperor Regent owners?

L1Picker

I see the Joe Pass, Zephyr, Broadway, etc. mentioned on here a fair amount, but hardly ever the Emperor Regent. I've been wanting one for a couple years and just ordered a used '96 model yesterday. I understand that having the single floating mini at the neck makes it a pretty focused guitar as far as what style of music it's geared to, so that would account for its smaller audience.

So for the owners of the Emperor Regent, what has been your take on it? Any sound samples? There are a few on YouTube, but I'd love to hear more. I'd also love to see some of your pics and hear about any mods you did.

Here are a couple shots of the one I have on the way...

2867-1.jpg2867-5.jpg

great looking guitar. i have a broadway and two joe pass's. great playing and sounding guitars for jazz and blues. yours i would keep stock although i changed the bridge on both guitars to nashville tune-o-matics along with d'addario chromes 11' strings.

I'm a tinkerer, so I'll be doing a little upgrading. I was going to go with a Kent Armstrong pickup but have been turned on to a Bartolini that I'll go with instead. I'll put on new electronics and a Tusq nut, and I've already got a very nice replacement wooden bridge that has been sitting around in my parts box for a couple of years, which was made for me by a luthier in Oregon. If the tuners are problematic, they'll go too. And I'll string it with flatwounds.

The guitar will ship out tomorrow and should be here by Wednesday or Thursday. I'm looking forward to it.

Well I also have a 96 regent, sorry I don’t have any sound bytes for you so you can hear how one sounds.

As afar as mods go I also changed the nut to a Tusq, and changed out the pick-up with a Benedetto floating pickup. I haven’t changed the electronics as of yet although I have been thinking of it. I have been pondering changing out my tuners for some Grover Imperials. Strings I use Tomastik-Infeld George Benson series , they are thick flatwounds .053 on the E string. Plus all of the Tomastik series are more than long enough with the Frequensator tailpiece.

Thanks for the reply 96epiregent. I like TI strings too, but opt for the Jazz Swing ones. I stopped at the local yesterday to get a set to have ready but they didn't have any so I ended up with some D'Addario Chrome flatwounds...never tried them before.

FedEx has the guitar scheduled for delivery tomorrow...I can't wait!

Hi 6string, congratulations on your new baby! I have an Emperor Regent as well and I think she is a wonderful guitar. When the price is considered she becomes a fantastic bargain! The Emperor sees use when I get in a jazz mood and the fact that it is used at all states volumes. I have stiff competition for the ER in that I also have an Elitist Broadway, Elitist Byrdland and two Eastman's (810ce and 910ce)! The ER and Eastman 810 are set up strictly for jazz with D'Addario flatwound 13's on em. The ER has a very bold and fat voice and calls for Wes Montgomery licks. I've been meaning to try some of the Thomastik strings on my Jazz boxes but as of yet it hasn't happened. I don't have any sound clips for you to hear but if you heard me you'd be thanking me B) Anyway enjoy!

jazz.jpg?t=1232149221

Archived