Gibson Brands Forums

G400 Replacing Pickups Help

ggoerl

I decided to tackle wiring up my new pickups, so I could learn something. This is obviously my first time doing this and I have question which I am sure I know the answer but just want to double check and make sure. I have the stock neck pickup hanging by its wire, I didn't want to make a mistake of cutting the wire from the controls and pulling the thing out through the body and find out I can't thread the new wire of my new pickup through the body to get to the controls to solder them. So before I do so, I wanted to make sure that it was ok to pull out the whole wire and that assume correct that I am going to have to thread the new wire of the pickup through the body.

Im looking at this diagram, and not sure what that wire does that is hooked up to the toggle switch, is it some sort of ground?

(the black arrow is pointing to it) also I have my ground wire from the bridge which it doesn't really say what to do with it, so should I just solder it to one of the volume or tone pots?

whatis.jpg

The wire in question looks like a ground to me. I haven't seen a diagram like this one before, but then I don't use active pickups. I could very well be wrong.

The ground wire from the bridge should be soldered to the back of one of the pots. Make sure the volume it off on the pots when soldering or you could get a dead spot in the sweep.

the diagram that you are using is for active pickups with a 9v battery (top). Did it come with your pickups? Are they active? If you are just replacing the pickups with new humbuckers and not adding an active circuit, use the diagram below.

The wire in question appears to be a ground from the switch that is soldered to the pot case. Here's a better pictorial wiring diagram for what you are trying to do if you are just replacing standard humbuckers.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=2h_2v_2t_3w

wait, when you say volume off when soldering to the pots? you mean like turned down to 0? dead spot in the sweep?

yea Im installing a pair of active emg humbuckers, and this is one of the diagrams that came with them. I just happened to pull that off their site for reference to show. Now as for that black wire is that where I should be soldering it to? (refer to image below) because that wiring diagram I posted kinda threw me off because that supposably ground is connected to the side of the switch?

P_Toggle.jpg

wait' date=' when you say volume off when soldering to the pots? you mean like turned down to 0? dead spot in the sweep?

yea Im installing a pair of active emg humbuckers, and this is one of the diagrams that came with them. I just happened to pull that off their site for reference to show. Now as for that black wire is that where I should be soldering it to? (refer to image below) because that wiring diagram I posted kinda threw me off because that supposably ground is connected to the side of the switch?

[img']http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh109/ggoerl/P_Toggle.jpg[/img]

Yup, that's right. You should have four connections coming off the switch that actually contact the switch points, two of which get bent together as shown in your photo. The other point is a part of the switch housing, and is for ground, again, as shown in your pic. Different models of switches have some of the conections in different spots, but the idea is the same. And yes, turn the pots down to 0 before heating them with a soldering iron. I didn't know that until recently either, but so far I must have just been extremely lucky, because I haven't noticed dead spots in any of mine.

Have fun with the wiring... it's addictive, once you get the hang of it. I find it relaxing... I keep finding reasons to swap pickups in my guitars so I can keep tinkering with the soldering iron, LOL. Haven't tried installing any active systems though... shouldn't be any harder really, as long as you can follow a wiring diagram. Good luck! Let us know how it turns out!

• 4 months later...

whatis.jpg

Alright im looking at the same thing too, i just took apart my G-400 to install EMGs. That black wire is the one from the side of the inside, a little bit spaced out from the pickup wire feed hole. I think thats what it is because i only see three wires on mine coming from the pickup selector but a little prong in the back thats so close to the inside wall. So im guessing they just fed it through the back and soldered it to the switch. It used to be just soldered onto the top right tone in the diagram with the stock pickups and now its going through the Volume, tone, tone then grounded. I could be wrong too, its my first time lol

Archived