Gibson Brands Forums

Unsung Epiphone Les Paul Studio

Boyko

Hey everyone, I was just wondering what the general opinion is on the Unsung plant Les Pauls? I'm looking at buying one but thought I'd check in here first. Its a 2001 according to the serial number U01105811.

Also, what would you say would be an average price for a Studio LP from this time? Its one of the gloss models, with a bit of chipping on the bottom ridge and apparently a non-functional rythm pickup. Guy is asking $300, but said he'd take $40 off because the neck pickup is broken. This includes HSC and is in Canadian funds, so roughly $100 US = $120 CAD around now I think...

Thanks!

Unsung Korea makes some of The Best Epiphones.

They still do quite a bit of 'Limited Edition Custom Shop' models.

My Firebird Studio came from Unsung.

It's a very good guitar.

I would say in general that Unsung Korea is probably the better of those Korean Epiphone OEM plants

100_1320.jpg

100_1306.jpg

(Unsung China on the other hand can't hold a candle to its Korean counterpart. Those serials begin with UC)

I was under the impression that Saein was the better of the Korean facilities. Mind you, I've never really heard anything negative about Unsung, but all of my Epis except the newest LP were built by Saein (the new LP is one of the Chinese EEs) and all are outstanding guitars, especially given their price point.

I was under the impression that Saein was the better of the Korean facilities. Mind you' date=' I've never really heard anything negative about Unsung, but all of my Epis except the newest LP were built by Saein (the new LP is one of the Chinese EEs) and [b']all[/b] are outstanding guitars, especially given their price point.

I would agree that Saein is awesome. My G-400 Custom came from there. But honestly, all of the bridge, tuners, new nut and the like all came about on mine because it would NOT for the love of anything stay in tune. An isolated incident? Maybe. The bridge was pre-loc tone. It was a real bad rattling, saddle moving drama inducing headache.

I found a Luthier who listened to what I wanted, and needed, made some suggestions and a bit later I have the Perfect guitar. No, Saien did not build it with the best parts, but I will say the body and neck on the guitar are fabulous as well as it's overall build.

It was the 'little' parts they used that didn't work.

The Firebird only needed a set-up and got new pickups (Tone Zone and PAF Pro)

and has the good bridge.

It will get a Gibson TP-6 as well....as soon as I can get one for uner $120 again.....

(Gibson No Bueno.....)

Sounds like a good price to me, especially if you intend to replace the pups eventually anyway. About the only thing an epi neck pickup is really good for is to use as a paperweight after you take it out anyway, so no real loss there. It's probably just a loose wire anyway... pop the back plate off and reattatch it and you're golden!

Archived