Gibson Brands Forums

Emperor Joe Pass Pickup problem

placemat

Hey guys, I'm new here (but have enjoyed reading the forum for some time). Anyhow, I recently got a used Emperor Joe Pass model epiphone which I knew had some problems. Everything seems to be working fine, except the neck pickup produces no sound. The bridge and neck pickups both work. I assume there is a loose wire somewhere, and while I have some basic guitar electronic skills, I know working with these can be a pain. Any suggestions on where to start? Thanks in advance!

It's typically the switch and not the pickup.

This gets asked about in here a lot.

Take the switch out.. pinch the two metal strips a bit tighter.. easy does it. with needle nose pliers

or clean the contact points..

and I'll bet you'll be back in business

TWANG

I've been into mine. Remove the strings and unscrew the four mounting screws on the neck pickup. Carefully lift it out and put it aside, preferably on a towel so it doesn scratch the.

Loosen the nut on the switch enough to tie some nylon fishing line or thread around the switch shaft. Remove the retaing nut and push the switch in. You should be able to grab it with your fingers. Pull it out through the pickup opening.

You can try fixing it which is easy if a wire is broken. When it is out, take some measurements such as threaded shaft length and diameter.

Reverse the procedure to reinstall it. I would recommend getting a new switch. The plastic button on mine broke. The thread is an odd diameter. I found one at a music store, squeezed some silicone into it and stuck it on. Works fine...for now.

Archived