Gibson Brands Forums

EJ 160 E ....korea or china ?

Jaybuck

Hello to all of you .

I would like to buy an Epiphone acoustic guitar. The John Lenon EJ 160 would be fine. Now I heard about different "made in"s ...the former ones in Korea , the nowadays in China. A friend of mine told me not to buy the Epis from China ------ is he right ?

thank you for your replies

Jay from SouthernBavaria

I don't have any experience with Korean built Epiphones but I have heard pretty much universally that they are very high quality. I believe Epiphone also had the EJ 160 made by Samick in Indonesia and I suspect that they are very excellent guitars as well. I have an AJ 200s made in Indonesia by Samick and it is quite an excellent guitar. My experience, however with playing several Chinese made Epiphones has been extremely unsatisfactory. My advice would be not to buy an inexpensive guitar unless you play the actual guitar you are interested in first.

Spyders

My advice would be not to buy an inexpensive guitar unless you play the actual guitar you are interested in first.

Good advice. I have a Chinese Hummingbird which is great although it needed a good setup when I got it, but any guitar will benefit from changing to a bone nut and saddle and decent setup wherever it's made.

Play the guitar you like... If you find a Korean made, take it, you won't regret it! I really don't like the slimmer Headstock and the ugly looking Trussrodcover on the new, chinese ones...

I prefer the Korean, bigger, edgier headstock with the normal sized Trussrodcover but that's only for the looks...

When they first took Epis to China, the Chinese went through a learning curve with regards to quality control and pride in one's own workmanship. It's a cultural thing Western companies have to overcome when first doing business in China. The Chinese are used to the communal form of government. The collective owns everything and the collective is more important than the individual. Trouble is individuals seem to have a hard time taking responsibility or pride in what they do. I've heard of collective farms in communist countries operating today like they did during the Civil War era in the US. Mostly hand labor and draft animals. They have machinery, but none of it works because no one wants to take ownwership of maintaining them. It's as if they think, "Why should I care? It's not my tractor." Luckily, it seems, that is all behind them... at the Epi plant anyways. I've heard few bad things lately about Chinese Epis.

](*,)

...thank you all , for your oppinions and the huge knowledge most of you guys have . and thanks alot for the advices.......I think , I´ll try this guitar i´m offered - but it´s pretty expensive - used , the man says like new , should cost 350 EUROs , what is about 450 USD ......thats pretty much......but anyway-----

THANK YOU ALL !!! ....and good luck for the future....](*,)/

8-[

...thank you all ' date=' for your oppinions and the huge knowledge most of you guys have . and thanks alot for the advices.......I think , I´ll try this guitar i´m offered - but it´s pretty expensive - used , the man says like new , should cost 350 EUROs , what is about 450 USD ......thats pretty much......but anyway-----

[/size']THANK YOU ALL !!! ....and good luck for the future....:)/

Is the seller including a hard shell case?

Archived