Gibson Brands Forums

saddle

emmonsh

i am looking for a new saddle for my aj-500mvs and bob colosi has gibson with b compensated. are these the same,he has the measurements for it and i can measure mine. otherwise he said to send mine in to duplicate. just bought this used and not sure where the guy got the saddle from, but it doesnt seem to be the greatest one in construction[not like bobs ]. i was going to buy a new 1 and have it copied but thats not easy to do it seems. i want to have a ivory 1 made.[have 1 on my taylor and for strumming the best material i have ever used] any ideas, thanks

I've always preferred bone myself. I know that's a personal thing, but for the price of one of Colosi's ivory saddles you can get a whole bag of nice bone nuts and saddles from Stewart MacDonald, and i bet you'd be just as pleased with the result. Again, it's just my opinion, but i think people put way too much emphasis on unimportant details like what creature their saddle came from, and not enough on playing. These internet dudes profit from that by cashing in on the hype.

I personally don't think it's a good idea to buy these parts out of the internet, unless there's no competent guitar tech in the area. If you really want to improve your guitar, you should think about swapping out the nut and the saddle, and that should be done at the same time, so that the relationship between the two is correct, giving you an optimal setup.

I just had a new nut and saddle (vintage bone) installed on my EL-00, and it made a huge difference. The guy who did it had all of the parts there already, just as every luthier does. The actual cost lies in the workmanship, not in the saddle itself, and no one can do a good job, unless the guitar is there in front of him. Nut, saddle and truss rod all have to be fine tuned at the same time, otherwise you're just swapping out pieces.

As for Bob, I know one reads his name all over the forums, but I bought from him once and would never do it again.

Ivory might be very interesting.

I own two almost identical Washburn guitars, one of which I fitted with Bob Colosi's West African Hard Ivory nut and saddle and the other I had my luthier make bone pieces for. The same luthier fitted and installed the WAHI pieces and made and installed the bone pieces.

They have very different sounds.

The one with the bone nut and saddle has quite strong fundamental harmonics. I like it very much for pick work and am thinking strongly about putting a UST type pickup on this guitar.

The one with the WAHI nut and saddle has a "sweeter" sound that I attribute to the presence of what sounds to me like much more harmonic overtones. This guitar is an incredible fingerstyle piece, with great definition to the notes.

Visually, the only difference I can see between the two is that WAHI will take a glass-like polish, whereas bone doesn't polish to that degree.

The WAHI was very expensive, the bone not so much so.

For my Breedlove custom shop Revival 000 guitar, Breedlove allowed me to provide the blanks for the nut and the saddle as well as finished pieces for the bridge pins, the end pin and the strap button. The cost for that group of products was $330 from Bob Colosi, WAHI.

IMHO, the WAHI is the ultimate for definition; others really like the fossilized walrus ivory. For a guitar that will not be used for performing or recording, IMHO bone would be perfectly acceptable. In my case, the extra $330 for the Breedlove build (Breedlove gave me no discount for providing the blanks and other parts) was worth it--I never have to pick up that guitar and wonder how it might have sounded if I had spent the extra $$ for the WAHI that I really wanted.

I just got rid of my only guitar with a plastic saddle. ANYTHNG BUT PLASTIC :D !!

Dugly O:)

Archived