Gibson Brands Forums

What's the difference between an Epi LP Standard and Epi LP Custom?

Fletch888

I have an Epiphone Les Paul Custom and like it a lot.

I have a chance to buy an Epi Les Paul Standard at a good price.

I looked at the descriptions that the guitar center web page gives for both, and I can't really tell the difference.

Help, please.

Quite the contrary the Custom's tuners are much more secure. Also the pickups are much better in the custom as they have a more open tone and the neck humbucker is not as dark as the standard. Also to me the gold plating does make a difference to the tone slightly as it seems more natural. But the Custom is better build quality and bound alot better.

Wrighty2012

Custom: bound ebony fingerboard with block markers and split-diamond headstock inlay.

''Les Paul Custom'' on trussrod cover. Bound carved-top body, gold plated hardware.

Standard: bound rosewood fingerboard with crown markers, ''Les Paul Model'' on headstock.

''Standard'' on trussrod cover, plastic tuner buttons. Bound carved-top body(top only).

Specs for Gibson Les Paul Custom/Standard.

Peter

Quite the contrary the Custom's tuners are much more secure. Also the pickups are much better in the custom as they have a more open tone and the neck humbucker is not as dark as the standard. Also to me the gold plating does make a difference to the tone slightly as it seems more natural. But the Custom is better build quality and bound alot better.

Wrighty2012

On mine, I would say just the opposite. Can't speak for the pickups, I pulled them out and put in Duncans before playing a single note, on both models... but as for the build quality and binding... the binding work on my Custom was pretty hideous. It was as if the guitar had been bound, sanded, finished, and then the binding shrunk in size by about 5%. It was nowhere near flush with the edge of the body, all the way around... the wood stuck out farther than the binding on about 90% of the body. Headstock was no better. Granted, it was slight, unnoticable from any distance really... but if you were holding the guitar, you couldn't miss it. Overall, it was lighter than any of my Standards by probably a good 2 pounds, which I viewed as a bad thing... it felt a lot cheaper to me than my Standards did/do. None of my Epi standards have had any issues whatsoever with the binding, either. IMO, the Epi Custom is not worth the extra money.

Archived