Gibson Brands Forums

RARE VINTAGE EPIPHONE ZEPHYR DELUXE ELECTRIC GUITAR

Jim-bob

Hi. I enjoy reading about the Vintage Guitars here.

I noticed what I think is a new Epiphone for sale on eBay and I wonder what it's worth. It says:

LINK: RARE VINTAGE EPIPHONE ZEPHYR DELUXE ELECTRIC GUITAR

I'm looking at buying a Gibson or Epiphone acoustic electric guitar and Fender amp.

Thanks again' date='

- Jim-bob

[/quote']

It's a great looking guitar and the auction looks straight and legitimate enough. That one dates to 1944. The only problem I have is with these vintage guitars I really like to see them in person. There's a lot of things like disintegrating binding that don't show up in photos. The opening price seems right but I'd expect it to go for maybe $3K or a bit more even it being pretty soft in the vintage market at the present time. If you have the money and it appeals to you I'd say the auction and guitar appear OK...one thing to remember though is that these aren't going to sky-rocket in value and I'd probably consider it to be a pretty cool player ahead of thinking of it as an investment...and the two pickup Deluxes have a bit more desirability for the collectors but that looks like a pretty cool guitar anyway..Also, the construction of the electric models from this era are different in that the bodies are laminated where the acoustic models are solid woods. This means it isn't going to have the acoustic tone that the acoustic models have but that sure looks like a fun guitar to play some Texas Swing on..Look out Bob Wills .actually Eldon Shamblin..lol..good luck.

Mr.Nelson

It's a great looking guitar and the auction looks straight and legitimate enough. That one dates to 1944.

Mr.Nelson

Thanks for the good information and advice.

Hmmm....so although the Epiphone on eBay is prob. legit I might be better off with another axe for sound quality and buy the Epiphone as a collectors item. I have an acoustic I play but don't yet have an electric.

I might buy the Epiphone anyway; assuming nobody bids higher [-X

Thanks again and have a great 2009!

- J

Thanks for the good information and advice.

Hmmm....so although the Epiphone on eBay is prob. legit I might be better off with another axe for sound quality and buy the Epiphone as a collectors item. I have an acoustic I play but don't yet have an electric.

I might buy the Epiphone anyway; assuming nobody bids higher [-X

Thanks again and have a great 2009!

- J

Actually what I was saying is that the E Bay guitar might serve better as a player rather than a collector-type guitar. The collector thing is really iffy and there's absolutely no sure things as far as what may some day appreciate. There are of course modern guitars that will serve even better than the older stuff but definitely without the mojo of that great older stuff. I do have a problem with the single pick up guitars with a center-mounted pickup...they become a neither fish nor fowl situation. A single pickup guitar either neck positioned or bridge positioned pickup is going to give you more usable, familiar tonal options than the center-positioned pickup..a great deal of that is my personal, subjective opinion but it's something you may want to observe and consider for yourself before making a purchasing commitment to any. On the whole the guitar and auction seem OK but as always, it's best to look at them from all angles including beneath the surface. Good luck.

Mr.Nelson

Our local Mom & Pop music store had one in last year - even had one of those Maphis cup holder whammy bars attached. Came with all kinds of newspaper clippings from the late 1940s and 1950s showing the original owner holding that guitar with his band - very cool. It was offered at a good price and I even got to take it home to give the tires a good kick. It was cool and it was beautiful but it was not for me. Plugged staight into an amp that guitar did not have the sound that I wanted.

Not trying to be a jerk but you have to ask yourself why do you want it. Assuming you are not a collector, do you want it because you just want a "vintage guitar and the Epis are far more affordable than most. Or do ya want it because ya love the sound they put out?

Our local Mom & Pop music store had one in last year - even had one of those Maphis cup holder whammy bars attached. Came with all kinds of newspaper clippings from the late 1940s and 1950s showing the original owner holding that guitar with his band - very cool. It was offered at a good price and I even got to take it home to give the tires a good kick. It was cool and it was beautiful but it was not for me. Plugged staight into an amp that guitar did not have the sound that I wanted.

Not trying to be a jerk but you have to ask yourself why do you want it. Assuming you are not a collector' date=' do you want it because you just want a "vintage guitar and the Epis are far more affordable than most. Or do ya want it because ya love the sound they put out?

[/quote']

That's a good point because a lot of time people see these guitars from that past that are just dripping with visual MoJo but when they plug it in it isn't quite to their expectations...especially coming from a modern guitar sound perspective. They certainly aren't front end slamming, high output guitars and can often be crackly and noisy even when in pristine condition...and again, this is why I say it's best if you can actually handle the older stuff and hear it in action...

Mr.Nelson

That's a good point because a lot of time people see these guitars from that past that are just dripping with visual MoJo but when they plug it in it isn't quite to their expectations...especially coming from a modern guitar sound perspective. They certainly aren't front end slamming' date=' high output guitars and can often be crackly and noisy even when in pristine condition...and again, this is why I say it's best if you can actually handle the older stuff and hear it in action...

Mr.Nelson[/quote']And the electric arch tops generally don’t make for great "acoustics". Folks get em thinking great, I'll have an electric and acoustic, but the unplugged voice is usually rather disappointing if not flat out dead.

Actually what I was saying is that the E Bay guitar might serve better as a player rather than a collector-type guitar. The collector thing is really iffy and there's absolutely no sure things as far as what may some day appreciate.

Mr.Nelson

OK. If I buy the Epiphone it I suppose I could try to resell it if I didn't like it.

I might like what a friend has; a Les Paul. Also I like a guitar I saw in Seattle called Washburn acoustic/electric.

Thanks again.

- J

OK. If I buy the Epiphone it I suppose I could try to resell it if I didn't like it.

I might like what a friend has; a Les Paul. Also I like a guitar I saw in Seattle called Washburn acoustic/electric.

Thanks again.

- J

You know, guitars are more subjective than women. If you don't believe me just take a look at the often ridiculous confrontations that take place here. The only certain way to know if ANY guitar is the one for you is to play as many as you can and when that one calls you back...you'll know...if you are new at this I wouldn't suggest going the vintage route. For that kind of money you can have just about anything you want in a modern guitar and if this isn't your livelihood and you're not in it for the collecting aspect or you aren't planning on making guitar playing a career there are many much lower-priced guitars that will meet your requirements completely .As I said, try to get out and play as many as you can before making any snap decisions or making decisions just based upon photographs. Good luck.

Mr.Nelson

You know' date=' guitars are more subjective than women. If you don't believe me just take a look at the often ridiculous confrontations that take place here. The only certain way to know if ANY guitar is the one for you is to play as many as you can and when that one calls you back...you'll know...if you are new at this I wouldn't suggest going the vintage route. For that kind of money you can have just about anything you want in a modern guitar and if this isn't your livelihood and you're not in it for the collecting aspect or you aren't planning on making guitar playing a career there are many much lower-priced guitars that will meet your requirements completely .As I said, try to get out and play as many as you can before making any snap decisions or making decisions just based upon photographs. Good luck.

Mr.Nelson[/quote']Dang...displaying sound logic....that won't fly here.[-o<

Hi. I enjoy reading about the Vintage Guitars here.

I noticed what I think is a new Epiphone for sale on eBay and I wonder what it's worth. It says:

[i'm looking at buying a Gibson or Epiphone acoustic electric guitar and Fender amp.

Thanks again' date=

- Jim-bob[/quote]

This is a very nice jazz style guitar. It seems to have the original Epiphone

late 40s "TONE SPECTRUM" pickup and the "Master Voicer" controls.

The pickup in this model is moved closer to the neck and

would have a nice combo sound depending on the setting of the tone control.

On some the volume is not infinitely variable, but 3 position : Soft, Medium and

Loud, and the tone control would have "mellow, normal and brilliant.

This one appears based on the round escutcheons to have that provision.

The volume knob is not original and probably was lost and has been replaced

with modern substitute. The 11 faceted ivory covered tone knob is original.

A beautifully crafted guitar with a history no doubt. Certainly, even in todays

economy worth the $1900 starting price. As far as being a rare guitar, according

to my book "Epiphone-the house of Stathopolo, there were only 505 Zephyr

Deluxes manufactured from 1944 to 1950. The book doesn't say how many

may have been made after 1950..but Epiphone had some serious problems

in the early 50s, so even if there was some made, it wouldn't be as many

as from '44-'50.

BTW, I got $1800 for my '66 Gibson made

Epi Triumph a few years ago as an indicator of the worth of these archtops.

I would go with a Gibson amp, if you can find it, over a Fender..it's a better

match for this kind of guitar.

Archived