Gibson Brands Forums

Treble, kill switch?

Calvinizer

I just got my new Epihone Les Paul Custom right out of the box but borrowing a friends amp. I was strumming along when I shifted to treble, the sound cut out? Now this happens pretty much everytime, the guitar just cuts out leaving the hum of the amp exept when turned all the way up where you can hear it softly. On the odd occasion it will play on treble properly. Will this be a problem in the amp or the guitar and is it easy to fix?

First of all make certain that all the "Human Factors" are ruled out. :-)

Make sure the volume for the bridge (treble) pickup is turned up.

If it is and you are still having trouble, there could be a problem with either the pickup, or the volume pot.

Sounds like the selector switch is working or you would not get anything.

Perhaps there is a ground problem, but if there is a ground problem it will usually introduce noise, not eliminate sound.

I'm sure some ofthe other more knowledgeable guys will come up with something else.

Well its not the human factor cause I've checked everything, the treble volume knob works fine when the treble actually works. This solder stuff you're talking about, I'm guessing thats inside the guitar etc (Newbie bte). You think a music shop would fix the problem for me or is it easy enough for me to fix?

Well its not the human factor cause I've checked everything' date=' the treble volume knob works fine when the treble actually works. This solder stuff you're talking about, I'm guessing thats inside the guitar etc (Newbie bte). You think a music shop would fix the problem for me or is it easy enough for me to fix?[/quote']

If you have a basic soldering skill then it's easy.

I assume I'm unscrewing the back on the treble/rhythem switch but what am I looking for?

The asian 3-way is notorius for cutting out one p_up or the other. You won't

see anything visual looking at the wiring..the symptom is due to the poor switch

contacts and spring tension. Flip it back and forth a few times, try spraying it

with deoxit or contact spray equivalent that you may be able to get in a Radio

Shack store..if they are still around.

The only way to be get rid of the problem once and for all is order and install

a Switchcraft 3-way. The spring tension is better and so are the contacts.

Archived