Gibson Brands Forums

Earvanas

PapaMidnite

Hi there. I don't know how earvanas are in terms of tone... AFAIK they're meant to correct small imperfections on intonation.

I bought some nut-making tools from a guy in ebay and started making my own from bone blanks... it's a fun, even thought time-consuming, job to do. They sound good and I don't have much to complain about tuning.

Daniel

Anyone try Earvanas .I have a Custom Tele That needs a New Nut [ Like it's owner ] to perfect that Tonal Nirvana
I tried the drop in "gibson" earvana - made no difference to my intonation issues so I took it off. What I ended up doing is sanding down the nut on the bottom to lower the action. That has reduced my intonation issues.

That's what i'm after G is off a bit on lower frets plus string alignment is off some this Ole'Tele has got some wear .
For me its the D string and the G string. I have to play with the tuning (i.e. compromise) in order to get all open chords to sound right. I probably need to sand down the nut a bit more.

The really interesting thing is that when I capo on any fret, open chords sound perfect. So, it is definitely the nut.

I've used the earlier gray plastic version of the strat/tele earvana. And except for the crappy material, I liked it's effect.

It did tune better.

I lost the problem with the low E and third fret, G, note retuning.

And I lost the problem with the open G and second fret, A, retuning.

The rest of the strings intonated better, too, and I had no problem when playing it with a non earvana nut guitar.

In addition to that, I felt like I lost some tone. The gray ones seem too soft a material and I thought I could clearly hear it.

I've been asked for them, and I don't recommend the gray ones, ever.

I'd still recommend it, but look for bone, or Ivory if you want to spend bigger bucks, they have them both now.

TWANG

Archived