Gibson Brands Forums

Need help regarding a bridge!!

epinder

And no, I don't want to buy one. HaHa

I looked at a late '90's Epi LP standard today. The guitar was very nice and in good condition. I noodled around with it sans an amp. Action was nice a low with no buzzing.

Now for my question. The thumb wheels on the bridge were approximately 3/8" above the body. Is this normal???

Most of the LP's that I have seen (which isn't that many) usually have the thumb wheels an 1/8" or maybe even a 1/4" above the body.

Obviously it is difficult for anyone to answer without seeing the guitar, but if you had the chance to purchase this guitar, would you??

Thanks in advance.

as what I think of that, is the different neck angle that is not exaclty the same for each guitars and the bridge need to be adjust for the strings to be straight with the neck. it's not a problem by itself if the guitar was build like that. if it was a repairs done to it, look for an other one.

Is it a stock bridge?

my schaller bridge has to be raised higher.

It seems like that's pretty high, but I would want to see if it was top of the range..

if the bridge feels wobbly on the posts and not solid.. I'd be very skeptical.

But it's just a bridge resting on the posts no matter the height... so .. if it feels solid, there's no less contact or anything that will interefere with tone or playability.

TWANG

It's hard to answer that one without some details. Where was this measurement taken, from the bottom of the bridge adjustment screws, the top, or from the thumbwheel? A more meaningful measurement would be from the strings next to the bridge to the top of the guitar.

Excessive bridge height with good action could be a neck problem but I suspect that if the angle was off very much you wouldn't be able to adjust the string height properly. There's a limit to the post adjustment before you lose bridge stability. Some more measurements are in order. A picture would help.

Thank you for your responses.

BluesBros: I didn't notice any repairs, so I'm thinking it was built this way.

Twang: It was a stock bridge. I think. The guitar is from the late '90's. There was no wobble at all, very solid. I've never seen that amount of threads bare before.

Dave: I was just eyeballing it from the bottom of the thumbwheel to the body of the guitar. You mentioned a neck problem and that was exactly what I was thinking. Unfortunately it is about an hours drive so photos most likely won't happen. Unless of course, in a bit of madness I decide to take a chance and purchase the guitar. :-

The price for the guitar and a hsc (that is pretty beat up but still does the job) was around $200 so I might just have to go for it.

Thanks again.

It's so odd, isn't it. having a set neck even be a b stock item if the neck were set all that high compared to all the others.

But, who knows.

at that price, if the thing plays and sounds good.. seems like you could always even trade it in and break even.

TWANG

Archived